Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-16-2014, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Member

i thought if u put 50:1 fuel in there it would crack the block. Years ago i ran out of lawnboy fuel(32:1) but i had stihl fuel(50:1 with 93 octane) put it in and by the end of the day i cracked the block. Anyways when customers come out of the house i tell them im spraying for mesquitos and i wont charge them.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

If you guys keep talking about those old 2-stoke lawnboy mowers I'll have to hunt a used one down and ditch my Areins 21SW and Toro SR4 neither of which I even use anymore....

What models...?
Self propelled or push only...?

Tell me more...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-16-2014, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Self propelled 3 speed, the local lawnboy mechanic would put a faster transmission if you wanted it , you couldn't keep up i think it went 4-6 mph. I ve cut a on the side of the mountain and flip the mower over and still held on the handle and the mower still stayed running. See two cycle engine are never starving for oil like a 4 stroke
Go on YouTube and type lawnboy 2cycle , the best engine was a duraforce 6.5 hp
Old 02-17-2014, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Simmons View Post
i thought if u put 50:1 fuel in there it would crack the block. Years ago i ran out of lawnboy fuel(32:1) but i had stihl fuel(50:1 with 93 octane) put it in and by the end of the day i cracked the block.
Can you positively say the mixture cracked the block?

Running 50:1 is definitely leaner (higher combustion temps) than 32:1. However, I, also, run much higher quality of fuel with a higher octane rating. Maybe, it was detonating with the 93 octane. Maybe, the oil wasn't completely mixed in the fuel. Maybe, maybe, maybe. Who knows.

I'm no 2-stroke expert. But, the old-school motorcycle shop I buy from has said he's never heard of or seen any problems running Klotz. A huge advantage, he and I both see, is the oil stays suspended in the fuel and readily mixes, even in sub-freezing temps. I've never seen that in an oil before. It's definitely a different product from normal oils.

I don't run any Stihl oils. I buy the synthetic with each new HH, just to get the extended warranty. But, I just give it to friend of mine. Even mixed in AV100, it still runs much dirtier (smell and smoke) than Klotz 50:1. He notes the difference, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
If you guys keep talking about those old 2-stoke lawnboy mowers I'll have to hunt a used one down and ditch my Areins 21SW and Toro SR4 neither of which I even use anymore....

What models...?
Self propelled or push only...?

Tell me more...
I have a '89 10525 (magnesium) and a '02 10323 (steel). Both have the DuraForce 6.5HP engine and both are self-propelled. You definitely want a magnesium deck, as it's much stiffer. This is most noticeable, when pushing down on the handle, as the steel deck twists. These are my 3rd and 4th Lawn Boys. The first two (a late 70's model and an early 90's model) were both sold, during life changing events.

As mentioned, they'll run in about any position. Mine has been upside down, numerous times, and it just keeps on running.

Carb parts, OEM blades, and cables are still available. I'm not sure about other parts, though.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
Husqvarna 580BTS blower
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 02-17-2014, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Member

I agree the magnesium decks are the best, when i find one i keep, In about 2005 i bought one brand new in a box, but it got stolen at a warehouse i was using. My buddy still got one brand new in a box. He already has about 5 lawnboys.