Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-22-2006, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Fall clean-up coming soon! Pricing?

This is my first year in business, I have recently purchased a new 30hp Toro ZTR with a bagger. I bought it for the fall season. My question is what do I charge for fall clean up? I have 30 mowing customers now. At an average of $40 per cut. Do I charge them extra for the leaves that I collect with the bagger. Do I charge the regular price? What about new clients that just want help with the leaves? I live in near Albany NY, so we have a LOT of leaves that will be dropping. Thanks for your help.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

charge more than you do for the spring cleanups depending on how bad the leaves are
Old 07-22-2006, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I was actually looking at the billgoat lawn vacs today. He had a little wonder next to it and that looked even better. The little wonder vac had a top down loading system but the bag attachment looked difficult.

Any opinions on these two?

I asked the dealer if he had 100 jobs full of leaves would he rather have two lawn vacs or 1 lawn vac and 1 push blower. He said he would rather have 2 lawn vacs. My concern is time and how it relates to dumping the lawn vac then putting the leaves into plastic bags.
Old 07-22-2006, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

There are probably as many different ideas on how to handle leaves as there are lawnsite members. We still believe that taking a big unit like yours and mulching the leaves into dust is the best approach, then use the bagger to pick up the dust. We have a couple good bagging units(Walker and Scag Cougar) but if you don't mulch the leaves you spend all your time dumping the bins, and then you have to haul all that stuff off. We don't make a lot of money our way but it avoids a lot of customer dissatisfaction. Those little WB vac things are practically useless. If you want to move a lot of leaves you have to have one of those big vacs mounted on a truck with a huge hopper. Then you use the huge big blowers to walk them to the truck.
Old 07-22-2006, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess
There are probably as many different ideas on how to handle leaves as there are lawnsite members. We still believe that taking a big unit like yours and mulching the leaves into dust is the best approach, then use the bagger to pick up the dust. We have a couple good bagging units(Walker and Scag Cougar) but if you don't mulch the leaves you spend all your time dumping the bins, and then you have to haul all that stuff off. We don't make a lot of money our way but it avoids a lot of customer dissatisfaction. Those little WB vac things are practically useless. If you want to move a lot of leaves you have to have one of those big vacs mounted on a truck with a huge hopper. Then you use the huge big blowers to walk them to the truck.
true i see alot of different sometimes wierd methods on this site... everyone around my area either has 4 or 5 redmax's going at once blowing everything into a pile or onto a tarp... either throwing into a dump truck or using a vaccum attachment and sucking them into the truck

a few LCO's use the push blowers but on 5-10k foot lots here they help a good amount but not a necesity everyone company depending onthere work area needs to just test every method to see what works best
Old 07-22-2006, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm just putting leaves into bags and leaving them at the curb, its pretty standard around here.