Register free!

Old 05-16-2013, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Member

True

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Gardener View Post
Its not low maintenance, but its not high maintenance either. I've yet to see an empire zoysia yard that is mowed, irrigated, and fertilized properly have a high need for weed, fungus, or pest control. The problem is a lot of guys cut at 4" and f up all the things i said and the people are scratching their heads wondering what happened....we've beat this horse on here plenty of times, but imo empire zoysia is pretty easy.
Posted via Mobile Device
I think most people think low maintenance means sod and forget with a little fertilizer once in awhile. I find the empire to need just as much water as any of the rest but the fertilizer cost to be less. I spoon feed a low nitrogen high quality palm fertilizer to my zoysia and it seems to thrive. I also cut with a Tru Cut at about 1.5 inches though I have cut it down to 1 inch. I have had no problem with disease but have had some grub issues. For the last few months moles are loving this yard and I am not real sure what to do about them.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbpow View Post
I think most people think low maintenance means sod and forget with a little fertilizer once in awhile. I find the empire to need just as much water as any of the rest but the fertilizer cost to be less. I spoon feed a low nitrogen high quality palm fertilizer to my zoysia and it seems to thrive. I also cut with a Tru Cut at about 1.5 inches though I have cut it down to 1 inch. I have had no problem with disease but have had some grub issues. For the last few months moles are loving this yard and I am not real sure what to do about them.
Well st Augustine doesn't even describe low maintenance. Pound for pound imo i think they are both the same(empire). Shorter varieties are another story. If anyone wants low maintenance, get bahia.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-16-2013, 02:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Honest answer. People are told that there is no such thing as a low maintenance turf. They want low maintenance it is mowed weeds, Astroturf or gravel. Anything that I can call a lawn and keep a straight face while doing so is very high maintenance.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 05-16-2013, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I agree. I can call bahia low maintenance bc people don't do fert and weed control on it here plus in the winter it goes dormant here so mowing is very low. Anything other that bahia is moderate to high maintenance
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-19-2013, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Coming Back

It is amazing but this stuff is coming back already. From total brown I am seeing signs of life scattered thought the sun drenched areas. It's my normal scheduled fertilizer time but I am not sure if I should hold off for a week or two as I don't want to cause any shock to the new growth. Thoughts?
Old 05-20-2013, 12:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Go ahead and feed it. It is not fertilizer allergic like cool season grasses. Feed it, water it, and mow it low.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738