Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-23-2013, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncnurseryman View Post
I see on the forum that a lot of guys here say that they do 15 to 25 yards per day. I only do this part time and all of my properties take at least an hour so based on those time and driving in between there would be no way I could ever do that many in one day. So are these people that do that many have nothing but postage stamp size lots that are all in a row or what. I mean solo guys not crews also.
Most of my accounts are between 3,000-10,000 sq. pretty small. I started by taking over a friends accounts when he decided he did not want to do it anymore, he was down to 7 accounts at the time. They were all within a 2 mile radius from my home. I put out flyers around the same area. The first year I had 20 accounts to do along with my full time job. (I always got of work at 11:00 am.) Now that I retired from the full time job. I have increased to 45 accounts which are almost all within a four mile radius. (14 on the same street, but diff. blocks). Only 2 are outside of this area. I usually can get all of them done within a 4-day schedule. I only use a 32" walk behind and a 21" Toro Proline. String trimmer, stick edger and back pack blower. If I have adverse weather or just don't have a good day. I have about four customers on the last day that would rather have their lawn cut closer to the week-end anyway. All of my clients are flexible, but I try to stay on task because of their irrigation schedule.

I am 53 years old. It is possible to do more if I had a little more efficient set-up, but I don't want to spend more until I need to replace equipment. I know that some one that is younger and willing to hustle would be able to do a lot more.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I guess I just never understood how the number of lawns in a day is relevant in any way. Doing four quarter acre lawns is the same area as doing one 1 acre lawn. One day I'm rocking out 14 lawns and the very next day I do 4. But I leave and get home at the same time and do more square footage on the day I only deal with 4 lawns. I learned a long time ago it isn't the number of clients you have that matters at all. There are honestly very few ways to compare apples to apples in this industry when you have so many different variables on lawn sizes, regional customs for mowing services (edging weekly versus monthly or even less often, etc...), regional price differences, other economic factors that affect pricing in different regions, etc... It makes comparing businesses based on acreage mowed, landscape area serviced, gross income, net income, daily take, number of lawns almost completely irrelevant unless you are able to compare setups from the same basic economic and geographical region.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

It is not really relevant, except if your are curious and want to compare with what others do and what they use and how they get it done.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I can say one thing. It really doesn't matter how much work a person (solo guy) can get done in such and such time. What matters is that that person is making enough $$$$$$ doing what they do, so that it is worth their while.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:14 PM
LawnSite Member

My solo record is 41 lawns in one cutting day including cut, trim, and bag on 80% of them.

Start time 7:00am finish at 9:00pm (noise bylaw limitation), so 14h total average about 3/hr including drive time.

All yard sizes between 0.15 to 0.2 acre (6,500-8,500 sq ft).

This is a hugely RELEVANT question because it is impossible to figure out your hourly earnings and profitability without first analysing the time vs price relationship on each property. IE regardless of size, if you take 15 minutes to earn $30, on one property and on another you take 40 minutes to earn $50, you're wasting your time on the $50 property because you are not as efficient at it as the quicker property. You're making $120/hr on the smaller property and only $75/hr on the larger one. (These are fictional numbers)

This fictional scenario should tell you to focus on bringing on more smaller properties as they are more profitable, and as you fill up with smaller properties your prices on the larger properties should be set to the same "hourly equivalent" that you would earn on the smaller property. This way either the customer will say "your price is too high" and leave--freeing up more space for the smaller properties--or they will agree to pay the increased rate and your "hourly equivalent" will now be the same as your best properties.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My average lawn takes 30 minutes solo with an Exmark 30. It just varies on your part of the country. I could do 20 in 1 day solo if I was willing to kill myself working for 11 hours straight.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodaggin View Post
My solo record is 41 lawns in one cutting day including cut, trim, and bag on 80% of them.

Start time 7:00am finish at 9:00pm (noise bylaw limitation), so 14h total average about 3/hr including drive time.

All yard sizes between 0.15 to 0.2 acre (6,500-8,500 sq ft).

This is a hugely RELEVANT question because it is impossible to figure out your hourly earnings and profitability without first analysing the time vs price relationship on each property. IE regardless of size, if you take 15 minutes to earn $30, on one property and on another you take 40 minutes to earn $50, you're wasting your time on the $50 property because you are not as efficient at it as the quicker property. You're making $120/hr on the smaller property and only $75/hr on the larger one. (These are fictional numbers)

This fictional scenario should tell you to focus on bringing on more smaller properties as they are more profitable, and as you fill up with smaller properties your prices on the larger properties should be set to the same "hourly equivalent" that you would earn on the smaller property. This way either the customer will say "your price is too high" and leave--freeing up more space for the smaller properties--or they will agree to pay the increased rate and your "hourly equivalent" will now be the same as your best properties.
It's only relevant to you and your business. The number of lawns you cut in one day is completely irrelevant info to compare to someone else's operation. I think that's the point a bunch of us are trying to drive home.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would say 12 to 15, but that depends on the houses in your route. Most properties I do are small city lots. But also depends on if you can get you larger mowers in the back yard, and how good your equipment is. Alos depends on how organized you are, and how well you operate your equipment. And that's not to mention weather conditions.
Posted via Mobile Device