Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-18-2013, 12:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Your cleanups are $70-140 or your hourly charge is $70-140?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-18-2013, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
Your cleanups are $70-140 or your hourly charge is $70-140?
Posted via Mobile Device
Also is that solo or crew?
Old 12-19-2013, 12:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
A.W. ... in principle I agree with you. However, we must remember the basis on which services are supplied.

For the kinds of work involved here, the large part of the costs is pure manual and menial labor. Carrying the leaf blower, gathering leaves to a pile, or loading a tarp to drag to the woods, or likewise, does not take much skill. However, other services, such as the lawyer example used, are much different. Or, take the case of a qualified medical doctor. In these cases, the labor component isn't worth much, but the skill level, knowledge, and experience, are worth lots. In the marketplace, we bring a certain value to the table, whether it be knowing how to start the leaf blower, whether it be understanding complex laws, or how to do heart surgery.

I think our customer base understands these distinctions quite well. In my case, many (most?) customers are very capable people, personally bringing lots of value to the marketplace for their skill, knowledge, and experience. In their word-a-day world, they have come to understand the marketplace outside their own domain, one that extends to the person/business that offers lawn services.

For those who aren't active in the marketplace, such as widows that have managed their own affairs for many years, have other reference points (e.g. window washers, painters). But, they also understand what they are buying, and know if the charges for lawn services are out of line.

I know I've shared this story in the past, but it makes a point. An expert was called to a manufacturing plant having great difficulty getting a machine to work properly (details are unimportant). He came, spent five minutes to make a fix to get it working properly, and left. He sent a simple invoice for $10,000 for his services. The company objected, "That is ridiculous, you were here only five minutes." He reissued the invoice with a breakdown, "Services, $5.00, Knowing what to do, $9.995.00, total $10,000." True story, or not, it makes the point that he brought more than just himself to the task. He brought skill, knowledge, and experience, for which he deserved compensation.

I received a call this Summer from a long-time widow. She wanted to get started with me in August, so that I would be ready to do leaf work in the Fall. Last year, "my guy" charged her $1,200 for leaf work. She knew it was way out of line, but was satisfied with the mowing work and costs. I chose to refer the job to another LCO because I was fully scheduled. I suspect the true cost for doing the leaf work was more like $200, or $300, tops. And, she made reference to other residential services, and the time he was on site, for knowing the $1,200 was out of line.
Just because you think this industry (as you've said hundreds of times on this site) is "mere grass cutting, leaf blowing, throwing mulch, etc.", does building retaining/boulder walls, installing permeable paver patios or waterfalls count as something mere to you?!

Anyway, that does not mean we charge next to nothing because the work isn't very "mind taxing". We still have thousands upon thousands (some companies within the millions) in equipment that is operating and depreciating and besides having to be replaced at some point, needs to make a profit to meet direct & overhead costs PLUS turn a profit and therefore needs to be charged accordingly to be used on a client's property.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Everything we do is charged by the job not by the hour. I have never given a customer an hourly rate. Each job is worth so much. If we are more efficient good for us. If we are not shame on us. We use big leaf loaders and haul all the leaves away and are very efficient at clean ups. Leaves get over a foot deep here and jobs range from $300 to over $1000. What takes us 3 hours with three guys to do may take a customer days. Around here customers are more than happy to pay big $ for clean ups. They know its back breaking work.
Posted via Mobile Device
^ One of the best posts in this thread. In MN we have lots of properties that are covered in large Oaks and Ash, they drop TONS of leaves. I'd say 60% of the clean ups we did this fall were on properties up to half an acre but had lots of large trees and the leaves covered the entire property and most people don't want to try to rake or bag with a push mower. Prices for a clean up only ranged from $100 - $400+. We aim for $75/man hour on site, and sometimes include drive time if it's further than 10 mi away (furthest we'll go is 15 mi).

No billing by the hour, if it is a new client, I'll drive to the property and take a quick look (5-10 min) and have a very good idea of how long it'll take us and email an estimate/quote over to them within 12-24 hours of the initial call with a price. The speed of getting back to prospects definitely affects your chances of landing the job. Earlier this spring when we were swamped and working 12+ hrs a day in the field I was in the office another 3-4 hours/day on top of that I was a little sluggish on getting back to people with quotes, especially on the larger landscape installs and it may have contributed to not landing them however the price may have more to do with it than that.

For clean ups we use the equipment listed in my signature. Handhelds are not listed but Echo PB770s for blowers, Stihl HS 45s for cutting back perennials. Next year I plan to add a second truck, a dump trailer and a leaf loader to increase efficiency.

The only thing that I'll price hourly is plowing & shoveling. Otherwise it does not make sense to quote hourly as a lawn/landscape business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. W. Landscapers, Inc. View Post
This is so true.

Several years ago I had a price shopper make the comment, "that's what my lawyer charges an hour." I told him, "if your lawyer's rates are that low, you need a better lawyer."

There are a lot of people that simply do not make the connection that hiring a business at a rate of $60 an hour is not remotely close to paying an employee $60 an hour. There are also a lot of people who believe that if they pay you in cash the job should cost them less, because they think you are as dishonest as they would be if someone paid them cash for a job.
I can't stand people like that. As a young business owner, I want to have as much on the books as possible to post a high profit (yes, I know I'll pay more in taxes) however I need to in order to get a loan for a house w/ land and continue to grow my business. Not to mention being able to get a loan for more equipment & trucks. Contrary, cash is nice to have to spend on fun however my mindset right now is getting as much of my debt paid off as fast as possible to be in a better position to qualify for the loans as I described above.
Exmark TTHP 36"
225 Gal MN Wanner Skid Sprayer
8' Boss RT3 Straight Blade

Licensed Applicator

Graduate - Anoka Technical College w/ Associate's in Hort/Landscape - May 2013
In business since Feb 2011
23 Years Old

When you have systems, you have control.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Member

I agree with the posts above and quote the leaf removal by the job. I can quote $200 for the job and complete the job solo in less than 2 hours using a walk behind blower with a leaf loader. If I told them I was charging $100/hr I'd never get the job. Besides I'm not making $100/hr after subtracting the costs of doing business.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Member

It also depends on how efficient your crew is. If you're like me my crew changes a little from year to year.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old Yesterday, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Member

This is my issue ... It happened today as a matter of fact. Our charges are $35 per man hour in my township (gas) ... If I leave my township but stay in my county, I charge $55 per man hour for clean up. Whether it 4 hours or 8, it obviously comes out in the wash, as double the men half the time. I keep getting requests for estimates, and when I do the math and present the estimate, I get the response ... Well my neighbor has been helping me and it's only been $***(usually quarter of estimate) This amount or something similar, in the attempt to bargain me down. So I have started offering a % off, normally 50% with a signed contract for the following season. I bring this up to them, and they say, well that seems reasonable. So with that number in my hand for the clean up and contract in the other, all of the sudden it turns into a 'I need my gutters done by hand and leaves bagged, all three stories, and downspouts blown out, the sink hole in my yard filled with 8 yard of dirt and new seed, 20 of my ornamentals trimmed, new driveway stone(tri axle), 1 acre lawn mowed, leaves cleaned and one downspout from the top roof down changed out, and I want to see a show of force and critique your 5 employees as they work. And when they say ... after that I'll THINK about signing the contract, depending on the work you do. For $250??? For christ sake, arguing about paying 6% TAX? Some people are so out of touch with the expense of running a business ... I just want to show them my last quarter tax bill, my gas bill and my insurance bill. I've fallen for this before and never heard back from them the next year, so I suggest they look on craigs list or home advisor for someone that may fit their budget. I stick to my guns at $55 an hour, and if they want the vacuum truck, it's an additional $300 deposit. Usually between $200 & $800 for one off's. I'm considering charging mileage next year for both jobs and estimates that can be done with google maps if they insist I drive an hour only to be low balled. Also charging for written estimates that has becoming a major 'bargaining' tool for low ballers and price matchers. It's simple ... If you can't afford to eat out 'Stay the F**K HOME and cook YOURSELF'
Old Yesterday, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Member

I couldn't agree more. People do need to realize we run legitimate businesses, and we are obviously aware that they can easily hire their "neighbors guy" for $20 an hour, and get a crappy job done. But why even waste our time giving them an estimate if they're just going to play games with us. It really bothers me when people try to downgrade the crap out of our industry just cause some laborer will do it for 10 bucks an hour.
Old Yesterday, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I tell them my average price last year, give them a rough estimate for their yard, and tell them I can't give them an exact price. If they tell me to do it I do the work and send the bill. I charge 50/hour. In my area only 5-10% of clients want leaf clean-ups. There are not a whole lot of trees here.
Old Yesterday, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

PT solo I start at $75 and go up from there. Today I did $100 hour. Very few people here can afford a real leaf clean up. I'm sure I could charge more but it's pretty good money for doing it PT.
Posted via Mobile Device