Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-07-2014, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like junk still in it, had a bad dealer/mech myself just had to put new seals and some more stuff on it "they said as it pouring oil out they all do it it's fine", till you almost become a rolling BBQ.

Mine is same model and motor seen these motors go over 4,000 hours stock being maintained by a proper dealer and mechanic.

Check valves.

2014 JD 920M 7-Iron Pro 48" 23.5 hp Kawi
Echo - 210, 225
5x10 (upgrading winter)

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenhauer, (1788 – 1860)
Old 07-07-2014, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like its time for a professional to look at it. You've thrown every part at it without knowing why. Id say throw in the towl
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-07-2014, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Find someone certified for Kawi engines and get them look at it

2014 JD 920M 7-Iron Pro 48" 23.5 hp Kawi
Echo - 210, 225
5x10 (upgrading winter)

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenhauer, (1788 – 1860)
Old 07-08-2014, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

the older Kawasaki v-twins have a filter inside the chamber for the breather, they degrade and clog the reed valve at the bottom allowing the oil to push through more and more over time.

I have had similar problems with missing over the years. some have been coils, some carbs, some manifold gaskets (between engine and intake). Even have had a bad kill wire, once engine got hot the wire would I suppose get soft and arch out under one of the tie straps holding it to the intake manifold. removed the wire and ran without a hitch...that was only after changing out every other possible thing of course.

I would look into the Valves also, adjust them to spec and make sure everything in their looks up to par.

Or as someone earlier mentioned, call it a day and give it to a kawi dealer to fix.

28 Maintenance Crews, 3 Landscaping Crews, 3 Irigation Crews, 6 Turf Crews, 3 Maintenance Enhancment Crews, 2 Hardscapes Crews

70 Wright Stander 52"
12 Wright Stander 36"
9 Wright ZK 61"
18 Encore Rage 52" Stand On Mower
400+ pieces of RedMax Equipment
150+ pieces of Kawasaki Power Equipment
350+ pieces of Husqvarna Handheld Equipment
.....A constant barrage of broken machines!!
Old 07-08-2014, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Does this carb have a hose coming off the top of it next to the actual fuel inlet line. If it does, thats called and outer vented carburetor. early kawasaki's with this design had issues with those little vent line or nipples either clogging with debris or being affected by the cooling air coming off the flywheel. Either issue can cause the carb not to vent the bowl properly and run rich and miss at high rpms after running a bit. Your plugs should look a little rich when inspecting them. They also recommended changing to a NGK BPR2ES plug (hotter plug) on a lot of these outer vented units.

Generally this rich "miss" does go away when the blades are engaged and cutting. That extra fuel and richness disappears when the unit is under load.

Fix was to of course make sure the vent lines and nipple were clear but then also to make that hose alot longer and route it away from the front of the engine and more towards the rear of the block away from cooling air flow.

This may not even apply to your spec, but figured I would throw it out there
Old 07-26-2014, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Yes it has the externally vented carb. I will make sure to clean the vent. I will also replace the vent tube with a longer one. It is running rich so you may be onto something with the vent. I will also check the kill switch wire. The jets are clean and the correct sizes in the correct holes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper8524 View Post
Does this carb have a hose coming off the top of it next to the actual fuel inlet line. If it does, thats called and outer vented carburetor. early kawasaki's with this design had issues with those little vent line or nipples either clogging with debris or being affected by the cooling air coming off the flywheel. Either issue can cause the carb not to vent the bowl properly and run rich and miss at high rpms after running a bit. Your plugs should look a little rich when inspecting them. They also recommended changing to a NGK BPR2ES plug (hotter plug) on a lot of these outer vented units.

Generally this rich "miss" does go away when the blades are engaged and cutting. That extra fuel and richness disappears when the unit is under load.

Fix was to of course make sure the vent lines and nipple were clear but then also to make that hose alot longer and route it away from the front of the engine and more towards the rear of the block away from cooling air flow.

This may not even apply to your spec, but figured I would throw it out there
Posted via Mobile Device