Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-28-2014, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Member

I run .80 in my small engine trimmers. It will rev up and doesn't overload engine. It will breakoff more often than .95 if you edge beds that aren't moist.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I use .080 exclusively. I feel that my trimmers are more responsive and rev quicker with the thinner line. The durability of the line gets no consideration from me. Trimmer line is cheap. I carry extra preloaded spools so there is no difficulty associated with having to stop and rewind a spool. You just pop the old spool off and pop the new spool on.

I can also tell when a spool is getting to run out and if I'm on a larger job I'll just replace it before heading out to trim.

Old 01-31-2014, 02:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
Can't find this in stock locally to try it out. Where online is cheaper?

Posted via Mobile Device
Last year I found Oregon's Platinum SuperTwist at a commercial parts store and bought it on a whim after reading about it here. Give it a try. The small amount I bought will easily last the remainder of the upcoming season. Tough stuff.

I hear the Oregon Magnum SuperTwist is even more durable, but haven't tried it yet.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 02-05-2014, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm going to chime in with an update. I happen to be at TS other day and they had a 3 lb. spool of .80 on sale for cheap. I went ahead and picked up a spool to give it a go around. This morning I trimmed a few with it, including one chain link fence. I know Echo trimmer line use to be good, but it seems like they've made some changes on their line in the past year and it's been nothing, but a headache with me. I've never seen so much line break. Possibly all the spools of Echo I bought last year were old or bad, but I doubt it. It seem like their line quality has changed over the past year or two. As for the .80, Richard is right. My trimmer revs higher and better than ever. The cut is precise as I expected and I don't care what anyone says, the .80 cuts and splices grass just as well as the .95 did. As for durability, I know some said line is cheap and they don't care about durability. Well that's in fact true, line is cheap, but I like to see a little durability. Nothing is worse than line breaking all the time for me. I was quite surprised, the .80 was much more durable than I thought it would be. Not one time did it break on me, and that was after one lawn with a large bed with rock all around the edge, nor did it break against the long, long chain link fence that that poor Echo line used to break on every time. Over all, I'm extremely happy with it. People say the smaller line is suppose to splice the grass better, I could tell a little difference in cut quality and the durability was much more than what I expected for such a small line. I think the line actually puts the high-reving two stroke more up in the rpm range where our 2-strokes like and favor.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Member

I think a lot of it depends on what exactly you do with trimmers. If you run stick edger's for all the concrete then .80 is probably the way to go with the slightly better cut and the fact that its easier on your machine. But I personally don't use stick edgers, I have always been pretty talented at edging with the trimmer and I expect the same of my guys. I am almost exclusively residential and I think maximum productivity is achieved when all stick work is done with the same machine in one continuous pattern. End result, I use .95 for the durability since we do all the edging with the trimmers.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharperimagelawns View Post
I think a lot of it depends on what exactly you do with trimmers. If you run stick edger's for all the concrete then .80 is probably the way to go with the slightly better cut and the fact that its easier on your machine. But I personally don't use stick edgers, I have always been pretty talented at edging with the trimmer and I expect the same of my guys. I am almost exclusively residential and I think maximum productivity is achieved when all stick work is done with the same machine in one continuous pattern. End result, I use .95 for the durability since we do all the edging with the trimmers.

That's understandable, most certainly. I agree with you completely if you do your edging with the trimmer the .95 is certainly the better line of choice. As for my situation, I don't do edging with the trimmer anymore, so I think the .80 will be much better to my advantage. As for as productivity from using one vs. two sticks, I think it all varies on what works best for each one of us. I can edge good nicely with the trimmer. In fact that's all I ever use to use growing up. However, with the stick edger I can pretty much run with it and my edges will be perfectly straight. Now with the trimmer I can walk fast, but if I tried to job with it, it wouldn't work to my advantage. Many swear my edging with the trimmer, many vice versa. If you have the Green Touch trimmers on the right side of the trailer and get use to them, it doesn't take no-time to pull the edger off and fire it up. But then again, the trimmer you usually already have it out. It's a matter of personal preference I guess. The advantage of edging wit the trimmer is you got one less engine to worry about. Now let me ask you this. If you we're to do a commercial job with a hundred yard stretch of sidewalk, would you do it with the trimmer still? It seems like to me it's much more efficient with the trimmer for small residential, but when you're doing something with a good long stretch, I think the edger might put you ahead.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Absolutly, I used to work for a company in which I led a 3 man crew who did about 50 locations of one of the big chain pharmacys. The stick edger was instrumental in this operation, there were a boat load of sidewalks, curbs, islands, etc. That experience is honestly what makes me not care to venture into commercial properties now. I hated every aspect of it. But yes, to answer your question, a stick edger is necessary in some applications I just prefer not use one if possible.