Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-26-2014, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
Do this.

Type your city and landscaping. You won't be the first one to appear. If they click the yp link 9/10 times it will send them to a directory search of all companies in your area
Posted via Mobile Device
Whiffy, I'm not having that problem.. If I go to yellowpages.com it ask 2 things. 1) what are you looking for= type lawn mowing services or lawn care & 2) city or zip.. When I do this I see all of the others lawn companies ads from my area..
Old 01-26-2014, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Like I said to be honest all I really do get is elderly from the actual phone book. The YP internet thing is the same thing but just a way to attract more people or different crowds who may not use a phone book anymore, & lets face it a lot of people don't anymore. I'm going on 40 & if I'm wanting to look for something I haven't really used the book in quit some time now. I grab my phone or tablet.. but still get call from it..
Old 01-26-2014, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaver View Post
Whiffy, I'm not having that problem.. If I go to yellowpages.com it ask 2 things. 1) what are you looking for= type lawn mowing services or lawn care & 2) city or zip.. When I do this I see all of the others lawn companies ads from my area..
Thats my point. Its a directory. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-26-2014, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
Thats my point. Its a directory. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
OOOOH.. I see what you're saying.. ya but you're still in my opinion going to get calls.. 1) attracting more people who are not using the book anymore 2) I was told I could make a free add & place it there but if I paid would definitely be top posted over the ones who just did the free thing..
Old 01-26-2014, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
]
You are right about targeting neighborhoods that show the $$. I will definitely do that, hit up the nice houses with beautiful lawns and landscapes.
Unless you're able to maintain the level of the lawns you see, you're only bullsh*tting your potential clients and yourself.

You think. "WOW, what a great lawn I would love to mow that lawn." But really, what can you offer that client to MAINTAIN that lawn? A mower a trimmer, and a blower and knowing how to go back and forth on a mower?

Do you know your lawn treatments? besides googling "6 step lawn program" and applying it? If you're not licensed for herbicides and pesticides do you have a go to company that applies the same standards as you do? ( Flyering a home that has a nice lawn doesn't mean you have high standards, just high hopes.) That awesome landscape cost that homeowner some money, is your start up company ready to foot the money to maintain it?

The bottom line is, if you have a plan to take on such a property and keep it at its level and more then compete for it. If you are joe shmoe that saw a lawn care truck last year and thought "yeah, I can do that" and have no idea how to price a lawn, how to pay taxes on a business, or ask someone in Washington state what the license rules are in Wisconsin...then you're better off not even bothering with those properties, since you're wasting your time, the client's money spent to get to that level and wasting the time of the company that got it at that level in the first place.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Other than that, in my area YP a shot in the dark. I get most of my work from referrals and my truck. I get calls from my CL ad but only get 2 out of 10 calls from that since too many people on CL are hiring the cheapskates. I'm getting ready to flyer for the first time to see how that goes in the area I'm targeting. I'll also be knocking on a few doors with my workbook that shows pics of my current clients, and cards with my current customers that gave me permission to give out their number or email as testimonies. The book also has my insurance company and policy number so the client can call at anytime to make sure I didn't just buy insurance and cancel. ( THAT IS a HUGE complaint I have had, that companies end up not being insured but had the documentation that they did). In my workbook I also have information on the treatment company I refer and a board with the thicker plastic holders that hold the types of mulch I use.

If i'm going to go to someone and tell them "I can make your lawn look better or as good as it is now" I'm going to have a folder and clients that will back that statement up. I have gone to bid a couple lawns, that I simply knew was over my head and told them so...I know what I'm doing, but those properties were soooooo freakin beautiful and maintained, I shook their hand, told them to keep who they had because I simply did not have the time or resources to maintain it to that level. I ended up getting some jobs from that company because the homeowner told them what I said and they appreciated it.

I was blunt in this threat, but if you don't have the integrity to know when you're in over your head, or the experience to back up your word, back up the money THEY spent to get everything looking the way it looks...then don't bullsh*t
Old 01-29-2014, 01:35 PM
LawnSite Member

@saberlawncare
Ditto......Couldnt have said it any better......
Old 02-24-2014, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Word of mouth is the only true way to get business, your not going to be big in this business in your first year, it took me 5 years before i started turning a real profit, years 1-4 paid the bills and kept me stable......trust me if you do a good job people will talk!!!
Old 02-25-2014, 03:12 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Have I posted here?
What did I say?

Gosh this thread has been going on for a while.

Company I work with is spending 21k with the YP.
this is giving me angina.

OH what I could do with T Shirts, Truck signs, Yard signs and 21 grand!

Alaska, per capita, has more plane pilots and personally owned planes, that anyone in the world, and JUST this year, have I convinced the first client I have to fly an air banner/advertisement behind his OWN Plane he already owns on weekends…DUH you'd think that would be a NO Brainer! Why aren't people doing that more often?
If people here don't own a plane, they know someone directly that has three!

MY suggestion is, before you spend a dime over a few hundred bucks on generic ads (like YP) invest in business cards, uniforms, truck signs…and then I like to hand things out all the time, like fridge magnets, ice scrapers… people throw away/lose business cards…but whistles, key rings, pens, cheap pocket knives, tote bags? Nope they hold on to them…plus people love free swag.

Get your name printed on paper weights, flash lights, erasers for kids for school.
Hand out the erasers to people your number and what you do will end up all over houses, on their fridge, in the kids back pack, the pen they sign their rent check with….they will think you are the go to guy to get something done because you have eaten their brain with marketing juice and when they think landscaping? They think your name.

I have a one liner under landscape contractor in the YP…name, phone number. Those crooks aren't getting any more of my money than that.
and that's just so people can look up my number in case it rubbed off that cheap pen I gave them