Register free!

Old 06-01-2013, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

So the Fall seeding last year and the Dormant seeding over Winter ,,, are 2 different events??? It doesn't seem like you had germination before winter in that Vacant Lot... I'm confused...

It will be interesting to see if the Ryegrass races ahead of the CG...
Old 06-02-2013, 05:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Axe,
I had seed planted each month of the fall and winter in the vacant lot. Seed from October and November came up in the fall--and was obvious. Seed planted on December 12 did not germinate in the fall, and the seed planted in January February, March and April...did not germinate until April...but then it was nearly impossible to judge how well it was growing, as it looked nearly identical to the grass that was already present from years past. Still watching it.

The same seed planted in potting soil in containers outdoors (sometimes on top of the snow), germinated in April and all planted months grew about the same.

A new test is in the works. I planted seed in loose potting soil without preparation in a 9 by 13 cake pan on May 28th. On day 5 the tallest sprout is about a half inch tall. Pennington seed (mainly rye). Temps have been about low 80s as a daily high.

Open to suggestions.

I have not decided yet--this could be another test to see if it can withstand crabgrass control when it hits about 2 inches tall. I will need to use about 1.2 grams, of 19-0-6.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The Dormant Seeding is off to a good start if it has filled in to the point that it is difficult to distinguish from mature grasses... the fact that it all came up in April about the same time, even when sown on top of the snow is good to understand that; 4 months on the snow is no different than 1 month on the snow...

The dormant seeding concept really is a better way of looking at growing turf than the mythology I was exposed to "by the Experts" when I was just starting out...