Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-01-2014, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a berlon bucket on my tak. The underside of the bucket has dimpled steel and it seems to make quite a difference in keeping the bucket straight.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

So bobcat admits there is a problem with their buckets? Not trying to be a brand basher but doesn't it freak you out that they can build a whole skid steer but not a bucket that goes on it?
Old 08-01-2014, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

They don't build their buckets as far as I've heard.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-01-2014, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

are you guys that are having problems using the Bobcat CI bucket?

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 08-01-2014, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
The perfect way to improve a bobcat skid steer is to replace it with a case.
We ran Case machines for 20ish years, traded in our 85xt and 450CT last year. Titan bought up all the dealerships and now unless your a large company or a municipality they could care less about you.

I demoed an Alpha and it was right when they came out. Wasn't too excited about the delay in the controls. I've heard they fixed this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyp View Post
I wonder if all the manufacturers have this problem? or just Bobcat….I personally haven`t noticed any bowing in any of my buckets, but that is in an excavator…Tony
I've ripped 2" thick hardened steel on our Towtem Grapples before. The Grapples and buckets see abuse, it's just the nature of what we do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomG View Post
My Bobcat Buckets are bent in the middle as well. I think adding more steel is the only thing that will do it. Or better steel... Its funny if you watch their awful Bobcat Advantage videos they have the strongest buckets of any manufacturer, according to them.
Yeah, the bucket doesn't really bother me but they called and asked if I had any input. I'm sure I could bend any makers bucket after about 500 hours. Not that I try its just the way it is. And Cat buckets are worthless for what we do. I tried picking up 3' rocks with a bucket and it was nearly impossible with the shape the bucket has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
So bobcat admits there is a problem with their buckets? Not trying to be a brand basher but doesn't it freak you out that they can build a whole skid steer but not a bucket that goes on it?
Never had an issue with any of the 5 M-series Bobcats we've owned besides the buckets. Only my buckets have the issue so it takes some serious abuse to do it I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
They don't build their buckets as far as I've heard.
Posted via Mobile Device
Any idea who does?

I remember when I demoed the first T770 it had a Bradco bucket on it and I wasn't a fan of it at all, when we bought the machine I requested a Bobcat bucket.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I run a takahuchi bucket on my cat 257 I love it. I only use my machine for grading and minor cutting. Never had a bucket Boeing issue cat buckets are real thick. I think they just grade like crap
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-01-2014, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

My uncles bobcat buckets are bent. Whatever my gehl has is great, mostly rips concrete and has 1000 hrs. Like i said, not bashing bobcat. More like a weird observation. Like maybe they should consult engineers haha
Old 08-01-2014, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

This has been an issue for 20 frickin' years people. Buy a Cat bucket, maybe and extended one, just another 8 inches.
Our Bobcat 1.5 yd bucket bends even carrying the 80" Cat bucket sideways in it, what a joke.

All you need to do is get a sheet of 1/2" Hardox AR400 plate, cut 1" long slots 1/2" wide on a staggered pattern every 6" across and 4" up and weld it to the INSIDE of the bucket floor and angle cut the edge to meet the cutting edge. Use a bead of Nickel rod with a stick welder to make the chamfer edge smooth.
My dad did that to his 943 Bobcat bucket after buying a dimpled bucket and it worked for many years.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96