Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-13-2013, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If your planning on takilng less to settle the debt and the other party agrees a lawyer should be able to do the paper work for less than 100$, I wouldnt sign anything until you have money in hand.

Otherwise you will have to sue the other party in district court and get a judgement, then the fun begins trying to collect.

Dont know how much the bill is, find out what the limit is in small claims court is, most states its 8000$. Small claims court is inexpensive and shouldnt require a lawyer, if you get a judgement you stil have the problem of collecting.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
If they've stiffed you for this long, why do you think you will be able to get them to sign anything?

As others recommended, take a look at your local laws re: lien time-frames (Maryland looks to be 120 days after work to provide notice of intent, 180 days after work to have it filed). If you can get them to sign something, that may help you if you try to sue them after you find out it's too late to file the lien.
Once you start talking lien and suing and court people magically want to work things out. He threatened ME when I told him I was filing papers. But that's another post lol

I told him I would take the original amount, without the late fees. It's worth it to me just to get his headache cleared up.
Posted via Mobile Device