Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-14-2008, 02:13 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgrassguy View Post
MJB, with the mulch kit installed make sure you change to low lift blades.
High lift blades are a no-no with the discharge chute permanently closed off.
It has the wavy mulching blades on it. I really hate the 1/2 inch increments for the deck height.

2013 Exmark Pioneer S 60" Ultracut (Review with pics) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410996

2010 Badboy Outlaw 6100 31 KAWI

2008 Exmark Lazer Z AS 60" U/C 28 Kawi

2000 Exmark Lazer Z 60" L/C Kawi 4100 + hrs strong
Old 06-14-2008, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Member

148M xdz

I picked up a 48" xdz a couple weeks ago. It cuts great and is built like a tank.

Old 06-14-2008, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Ahh the power of donuts. Or was it the old "do unto others deal," anyway let me make my disclaimer. I have only been in the game for three years. My primary account is a large nursing/extended care facility of 33 acres. It features 12 separate townhouse units, two apartment buildings and a host of "inpatient" buildings. Suffice it to say there is tremendously varied terrain and lots of curb hopping and deck moving required to complete this job. I live in central Iowa, we are mowing non stop with all this rain in very demanding conditions. Finally I am a major airline pilot when I am not mowing and when I am mowing I choose Gravely/Stihl because of the dealer.

I have said many times on this website, "shop the dealer" when you pay 10 large for a lawnmower you should expect any brand to be durable and cut well. The features and engineering aspect of each brand may be selling points as well. In the cases of Gravely let's consider their features. Heavy deck and frame construction. Arguably the strongest spindles offered. Kawasaki and Kohler gasoline engines. Each company has powered more various machines than is imaginable. A Walker/ExMark/Scag/etc. fan can provide similar strong points. In the end the original writer was satisfied by his dealer and the equipment.

Now the airline parallel. Not since my 10 year stint in the Navy have I witnessed such pessimism, divisiveness, pettiness and general ineptitude from management. Let's work hard to keep the LCO profession above that. Dealers should treat fellow professionals with respect and genuine concern, the customer should always be right. To be a professional every one of us sets rules for employees, standards for service and guidelines for pricing. Are you treating the dealer the same way? Work for a good price on the new mower then do all your own maintenance, are you surprised when the dealer keeps visiting with the homeowner who brings his in for oil changes? I'm not saying you can't turn a wrench, just remember you make money when the machine runs, the dealer makes money when it runs out the door or quits running.

This was a long response to many short posts, but the posts make many of us look like hot heads who haven't really given this much thought. The great thing about this forum is the experience and insight provided, when it becomes an IM rant fest it degrades the synergy and tarnishes our reputations.

Gravely makes a good mower, my dealer makes it great. If he sold XYZQ brand I'd be with that because I picked him not the mower. As for features, I like the hydraulic deck, and especially the way it resets back to height positively after movement. I lost a few stops, mentioned it to my dealer and he walked over to his showroom 260 pulled off one of every size and handed them to me. I let him do my oil changes. I now run two XZ's, not without issue, but he and Gravely are making it a great experience. I have an older 44Z with the "computer" they used to offer on it. That computer is an hour meter, I am the second owner and not one feature has ever been used.

Enjoy working for yourself, enjoy your ability to market your self, and remember it's always in the end about the person.
Old 06-14-2008, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdDay View Post
Farm equipment and "commercial" are two completely seperate animals. Like I stated before, Gravely and other "farm implement" type dealers are clueless when it comes to our business. A lot of Cub Cadet dealers fall into this same category.

Commercial mower dealers are, as far as I know, independently owned. I'm curious how many Gravely dealers you've dealt with that you can make such a sweeping statement?

That said, the Gravely dealer I bought my 144z from (no problems in 2 seasons) went out of business! But they were great about parts till then.

As to the original post, I've had Kawasaki parts problems on Exmarks too, so I think that's more of a Kawasaki problem. Canibalizing engine internals is risky business. Would anyone want to buy a new mower that had been opened up and had parts removed and re-added?
Old 06-14-2008, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Gravelys seem to cut well, but am I the only one that thinks those things look BUTT ugly??!
Old 06-14-2008, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb8100 View Post
Gravelys seem to cut well, but am I the only one that thinks those things look BUTT ugly??!

Really? They look like any other mower out there to me. Maybe your talking about the 200 series with the cover over the engine?

2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 06-14-2008, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
Really? They look like any other mower out there to me. Maybe your talking about the 200 series with the cover over the engine?

Yeah, it's the 200 series that is gay. The fuel tanks are way up above the tires and the seat is way up. They seemed to have no concern with COG on those. The front mount's fuel tanks look very oddball too. All their stuff seems to be speced and priced alright though.
Old 06-14-2008, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb8100 View Post
Yeah, it's the 200 series that is gay. The fuel tanks are way up above the tires and the seat is way up. They seemed to have no concern with COG on those. The front mount's fuel tanks look very oddball too. All their stuff seems to be speced and priced alright though.

Yeah I agree the 200 does sit up a little higher than some machines. We liked how low the 160 sat so we decided to go with the 160. These things are really nice machines. We paid $6800 for the 160Z this spring which was a heck of a deal! 2 other dealers wanted $7600 and $8200 for the same mower. I laughed out loud when they quoted me that price right in there face because I had already been quoted the 6800 from the first dealer I called.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 06-14-2008, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

yeah

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdDay
"Farm equipment and "commercial" are two completely seperate animals. Like I stated before, Gravely and other "farm implement" type dealers are clueless when it comes to our business. A lot of Cub Cadet dealers fall into this same category."

Commercial mower dealers are, as far as I know, independently owned. I'm curious how many Gravely dealers you've dealt with that you can make such a sweeping statement?

That said, the Gravely dealer I bought my 144z from (no problems in 2 seasons) went out of business! But they were great about parts till then.

As to the original post, I've had Kawasaki parts problems on Exmarks too, so I think that's more of a Kawasaki problem. Canibalizing engine internals is risky business. Would anyone want to buy a new mower that had been opened up and had parts removed and re-added?
Yeah, all Gravely dealers are like this. He's right because he has visited every Gravely dealer in the world and knows this. Only idiots sell Gravely.

What kind of people post on here to make such silly comments like that? Gravely makes commercial lawn equipment. That's what they do. My point was they have been around a long long time. This isn't bad boy mowers or quick 36 or something. Some dealers will cater to commercial cutters. Some won't. There are many reasons for this but it boils down to the following:

Commercial cutters are more demanding. They demand quick turn around. They demand low prices on equipment. They demand more parts stocked in house so they don't have to wait. Some dealer would drather not deal with this and that's their choice. Other dealer thrive on this. I know a huge dealer around here that will flat out tell you, when anyone see's a truck pull up with a trailor full of mowers, shovels and rakes, they cringe because they can't almost guarantee what comes next........If they are looking for a part, it's too expensive or it's rediculous they don't have it in stock. If they are looking to get something repaired, they want it yesterday. If they are buying a machine, it will become "Let's make a deal". He hates commercial cutters but will dance around the showroom with little old ladies selling them 21 inch mowers till he's blue in the face. He must be doing something right because he has plenty of business.

Guess what. He sells Gravely. I on the other hand, am the opposite. I'd drather deal with landscapers all day then deal with homeowners. We pull parts off new equipment in emergency situations whenever possible. Sometimes, that might mean loosing a 10k sale for a 30 dollar part. Why? Because someone already paid for that 30 part.

I must tell you, these distributors and even manufacturers are hanging us dealers out to dry on parts lately. They are stocking crap. The whole point of a distributor is to stock the not so common parts dealers don't. If they have to order everything from the factory that I don't have in stock, then what is their place anyway? Kawasaki is dealer direct so if they don't have it......they don't. But no reason to no call around the local dealers and ask if you have this in stock and get a guy out the door. That has nothing to do with selling Gravely or cub cadet. It's just how far the dealer wants to go to make a customer happy. Some dealers are complacent with saying it's on backorder, i'll call you in a month and they really could give a flying crap if you have to wait. It also depends on how good of a customer. If you are a pain in the ass, no one will go out of their way for you. If you are loyal and pay your bills, it should work both ways.

Rant over, haha.