Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-18-2013, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i'll go ahead and point out that while a diesel will return better mileage towing, the maintenance costs and price of diesel these days almost offset that. around here diesel is nearly $1 more expensive. even a diesel is going to burn alot of fuel doing the stop and go, neighborhood route running we do. 7-9 mpg isn't bad for that kind of driving towing. now for towing real heavy day in and day out diesel is the only way to go. by heavy i mean over 10k
Old 11-18-2013, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawakx125 View Post
i'll go ahead and point out that while a diesel will return better mileage towing, the maintenance costs and price of diesel these days almost offset that. around here diesel is nearly $1 more expensive. even a diesel is going to burn alot of fuel doing the stop and go, neighborhood route running we do. 7-9 mpg isn't bad for that kind of driving towing. now for towing real heavy day in and day out diesel is the only way to go. by heavy i mean over 10k
buy a good diesel and report back if what you said is true. 210,000 and both have had nothing replaced on the engine. Diesel is 15 percent more. At 10 mpg 11.5 mpg you wash. At 8mpg you only need 9 to offset. I laugh when people say maintenance costs of a diesel because on a diesel the only maintenance is the I injectors. Think of everything on a gas engine, its everying a diesel has plus an ignition system. Now of we are talking new diesels then they are junk. There is hardly a point in them thanks to the Epa.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-18-2013, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowingman View Post
I got rid of it, and started using Ford F250's, with the 7.3 Powerstroke diesel engine. Very reliable, strong runners/pullers, and fuel mileage ran around 11-13MPG, sometimes better. I bought all of my Powerstrokes with high mileage on them, usually over 225,000 miles. They had lots of troublefree life left, and were priced very reasonable, due to the high miles.
I had 18 of these trucks, (1997-2001 models), for my crews over a 12 year period. I would look for a good used Powerstroke. The older ones are pretty cheap now.
That's a lot of trucks. I use to own an older dodge 12 valve cummins. Too bad dodge trucks at that time did not last as long as the engine.

A few mpg better than my f250 gets would pay for the extra diesel fuel cost.