Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-24-2013, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Don't be afraid to get a two stroke

I have the Echo SRM-230 and love it. I am a homeowner and care for two 1/2 acre yards. The current Echo replaced an Echo SRM-2400 that lasted over 20 years. A commercial quality two stroke is simpler than a four stroke with fewer parts and will last you many years with proper care and maintenance. A cheap trimmer can drive you crazy with problems. As mentioned above don't go to a big box. I purchased my Echo from a large dealer. It was started prior to leaving the store and came with a tank of premix. It was even $10 cheaper than at a local big box.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Member

I purchased an Echo SRM225 from a big box. 30-40 hrs on it thus far, no issues working on my 3.5 acre property. I typically use it to trim around 30 or so trees, 5 buildings, and the ditch / road area where I can't mow with my tractor.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
When it comes to trimmers stay out of the box stores, they will offer little to no support and your trimmer will be sold with the carb out of adjustment. That said 4 stroke has more torque and uses less gas and last longer. I have a dolmar and its going on year 3 and has over 1000 hrs on it. It runs as good now as it did when I bought it. The 4 stroke dolmar is priced at $260ish. Also husqvarna has a 4 stroke now.
Posted via Mobile Device
I ended up getting the Dolmar MS246.4c....I cut along the ditch today. Did a good job. I find it quite a bit quieter than the 2 strokes, doesnt seem to rev as high and it doesnt need to. Like it so far.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62 View Post
I ended up getting the Dolmar MS246.4c....I cut along the ditch today. Did a good job. I find it quite a bit quieter than the 2 strokes, doesnt seem to rev as high and it doesnt need to. Like it so far.

That's the same as mine without the emissions stuff. This should last 15-20 years no problem. In case the dealer didn't give you the run through run full synthetic oil and chage it 25 or so hrs. Also the air filters and do not oil the foam one. I'd change it twice a year in your case. Mine runs at least 400 hrs a summer. It getd atleast 20-30 hrs of run time a week and after year 3 this is what I had to do with it this spring. I rebuilt the carb, cost of $8 in parts. I also had to replace the clutch. $8 for the shoes, $20 for the drum, $3 for the spring that holds the shoes plus shipping. Then I adjusted the valves for the first time, never adjusted valves before on anything (so no experence and no gages), just opened the cover and turned 3/4 of a turn clockwise on each and way she went. In the future ill replace the clutch shoes ever year for $8 and 30min of time to keep it cutting like new and the drum every 2 to 3. I also cut with no guard so it harder on the clutch. Its a torque monster forsure for a 24.5 cc engine.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-27-2013, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks JC...will keep all that in mind...Was wondering whether to use synthetic. Can you order those parts online or do you go through the dealer. My dealer is just a small place, so wont have stuff in stock I am sure
Old 06-27-2013, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62 View Post
Thanks JC...will keep all that in mind...Was wondering whether to use synthetic. Can you order those parts online or do you go through the dealer. My dealer is just a small place, so wont have stuff in stock I am sure
Parts take 5 days or less. They use the same suppliers and B&S. So anywhere they sell B&S parts you can get dolmar parts from what my dealer said. Now my dealer also happens to be a walbro dealer and that's why I got a rebuild kit for $8. It was a rebild kit for all walbro carbs and you just had to figure out what parts were yours, it was easy really. I'm sure you can order online somewhere, I haven't done it yet.
Posted via Mobile Device