Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-10-2013, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Without the triangle filler pieces (which fit horribly and created buildup), the mower left 2 strips of uncut grass. They weren't totally uncut, just not cut at the same height as the rest of the grass.

The crispness of the cut was NEVER there. It wasn't until I tried VX4 blades on it that it was even coming close to getting acceptable with being table top smooth. Problem is, the 28 EFI Kohler could barely power the mower up a hill under normal mowing conditions with the factory blades. Now with these taking another 5hp to spin, it always became a game to keep RPM's up enough to suck up and cut the grass. Meanwhile, the fuel economy of the 28 EFI was very close to 2 gal/hr.

I think a little more discharge blade front baffle spacing, a more powerful engine, and trustworthy hydro system, and the XR-7 era machines could be a good combo.
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Old 07-10-2013, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
I've been running the new 472 for a while this afternoon, that is until it started pouring rain, and it continues to do so as I type.

They just said on our local news this is the most rain we've had since 1938, that is 75 yrs. My corn looks the worst I ever remember, and that is in 40+ yrs of farming. The crops are literally drowning, the roots can't breathe from being so waterlogged.

I am going to try and post a few pictures of the 472 before I leave for church.
That's certainly too bad, and I'm sorry for your troubles. I can sympathize with you there. As you know, I grew up working on a farm and have spent a lot of my adult life around one as well. farmers are the bread and butter of the country, and without them and their crops, everything goes downhill quickly.
We aren't getting rain like that here, but so far, it's a far cry from the drought we had last year!
I was actually mowing over a ton of mushrooms growing up in the lawns around here from all the rain we've had lately. My tires look like they are full of dog crap from all the mushrooms stuck in the tread. They start to smell about as bad after a day or two, too.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
No mate, I don't own the girly man 3100, sorry.

I am however going to demo the manly man version of 3100 today.

Does that excite you?
Actually I can see if you are mowing rough stuff where it could be great, it is just that I looked at one and said that mower will not take the rough housing of the good non suspension designs and my research has verified that for sure.

For where I mow I feel fortunate that the mowing experience here does not need to be that involved.

I do think they are nice looking mowers however in a feminine sort of way.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLS View Post
Without the triangle filler pieces (which fit horribly and created buildup), the mower left 2 strips of uncut grass. They weren't totally uncut, just not cut at the same height as the rest of the grass.

The crispness of the cut was NEVER there. It wasn't until I tried VX4 blades on it that it was even coming close to getting acceptable with being table top smooth. Problem is, the 28 EFI Kohler could barely power the mower up a hill under normal mowing conditions with the factory blades. Now with these taking another 5hp to spin, it always became a game to keep RPM's up enough to suck up and cut the grass. Meanwhile, the fuel economy of the 28 EFI was very close to 2 gal/hr.

I think a little more discharge blade front baffle spacing, a more powerful engine, and trustworthy hydro system, and the XR-7 era machines could be a good combo.
Thanks for the help. What do you think of the new design?

It's definitely made better than any other Z by far but.........?

Hustler is coming out with a parker 280 wheel motor kit to fix the old Super drive train. Do that and throw in a 33 Generac and you should be there with the new blades.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Exactly right green!!!
If anyone deserves the golden glove/red carpet treatment, it is Mick for sure. What he's gone though is nothing short of ridiculous. It appears (to me anyway) that Hustler doesn't give two chits about a few guys down under having cut issues, but as GMLC pointed out, the guys in his pics here in the good ol' USA are having them too!!
Then, there's the troubles TLS was having......

Hustler- do the right thing and at least send Mickhippy a new deck. As long as you keep putting him through hoops, I will never buy one of you machines. Only after I see you actually care about your customers- large or small, will I ever consider buying your product.
Overall Hustlers customer service is better than most by far, they just seem to have issues designing a good deck.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
Gee that's just sad, I feel for you. More than likely a lot of money at stake.

Will be good to see your review of the 472! How does that puffy seat feel?
You can go into the thread "Gravely 472 Demo" and see side by side cut pictures of the X-Factor and VX4, and with 61 hrs. on the blades it is hard to believe.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
Actually I can see if you are mowing rough stuff where it could be great, it is just that I looked at one and said that mower will not take the rough housing of the good non suspension designs and my research has verified that for sure.

For where I mow I feel fortunate that the mowing experience here does not need to be that involved.

I do think they are nice looking mowers however in a feminine sort of way.
If you wont buy a tool for your trade that suits the application best, based on its appearance, then I say you may be a bit feminine yourself.