Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-19-2014, 08:11 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLONGLANDSCAPING View Post
you dont have to be the cheapest and i understand that you couldnt get equipment by the deadline, but for 20k thats a decent margin. You could have rented for a week, lined up trucks to load and take away, and rented a 12" chipper for a couple days. The way i see it, winter work is tree work. If you cant make money landscaping when it is snowing, why not cut some trees down and start some cash flow.

We did a 6 acre job last year for 23k and it was mid summer and it got muddy. We could burn all brush onsite and hauled all logs off site and dropped off at one of my buddies log mills in the thumb area of Michigan.

I had 5,600 dollars of expenses over a 4 day, 36 hour period. There was a couple huge walnut trees but other than that it was 20-30 footers and a lot of brush.

I guess i would have bid on that no matter what if i was you. Who cares if you came in higher than you thought the competition was.... which obviously was higher than you expected. I read the whole thread and actually got a stomach ache that you passed that up from not having the right equipment.

We do process firewood during the winter, but it's all wood that we have precut and stacked as lengths. We run a skeleton crew in the winter that is just enough to do all our plowing. And this winter has definitely kept us busy with plenty of cash flow, so no worries there. I have 5 h2b workers coming in May, so short of finding some temp guys to work for a week or so, I would've probable been short a couple guys.

This is a learning experience. Don't even get me started on the modular building demolition that went for 62k with our bid at 61,700 because I got stuck in another bid meeting a couple counties over and couldn't make the deadline...
Old 03-19-2014, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProTouch Groundscapes View Post
This is a learning experience. Don't even get me started on the modular building demolition that went for 62k with our bid at 61,700 because I got stuck in another bid meeting a couple counties over and couldn't make the deadline...
I hear ya. It can go the other way too.

Eighteen years ago I bid on my first prevailing wage job...a concrete sidewalk demo and repour at a high school. I got it at $94,600, but the next nearest bid was around $107k! If it wasn't for the $25k in extras that got added into the project, my foreman would have made double what I did.

I still have the concrete saw I bought for that job. It reminds me to always be on my toes and not miss anything!
Old 03-19-2014, 12:21 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

[QUOTE=I still have the concrete saw I bought for that job. It reminds me to always be on my toes and not miss anything!

[/QUOTE]

And that is the hard part. I like to visit a site at least twice, take pictures, look at it on satellite, and ask a ton of questions. Some people are short with me and don't want to offer much or take the time to answer questions and so I either pad that bid significantly or I move on. The folks that are willing to take a little time and explain things or spend a few bucks and have their lines surveyed on dense tract clearing jobs, generally get a better experience.
I had a job last year (had to place a lien) where everything got messed up in text/email because the guy was only clear in his mind what he wanted but never fully expressed it to me.
I learned a lesson because though I asked a lot of questions, we weren't on the same page from day one and that can really burn you on a big project.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 03-19-2014, 12:53 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLONGLANDSCAPING View Post
you dont have to be the cheapest and i understand that you couldnt get equipment by the deadline, but for 20k thats a decent margin. You could have rented for a week, lined up trucks to load and take away, and rented a 12" chipper for a couple days. The way i see it, winter work is tree work. If you cant make money landscaping when it is snowing, why not cut some trees down and start some cash flow.

We did a 6 acre job last year for 23k and it was mid summer and it got muddy. We could burn all brush onsite and hauled all logs off site and dropped off at one of my buddies log mills in the thumb area of Michigan.

I had 5,600 dollars of expenses over a 4 day, 36 hour period. There was a couple huge walnut trees but other than that it was 20-30 footers and a lot of brush.

I guess i would have bid on that no matter what if i was you. Who cares if you came in higher than you thought the competition was.... which obviously was higher than you expected. I read the whole thread and actually got a stomach ache that you passed that up from not having the right equipment.
If you had read the whole thread you would have discovered that burning on site was not permitted and even though you mentioned that you were able to with a particular job you had completed it was not possible for the OP.
I believe the OP did the best he could with the resources and advise at hand. Bidding a job for the sake of bidding a job especially if your not prepared to handle the job in a timely manor can back fire on occasion and really achieves nothing in the process.
easy-lift guy