Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-21-2014, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. W. Landscapers, Inc. View Post
I can't image a client being satisfied with being charged every week for services you aren't providing.

How do you explain to your clients that you intent to charge them the same amount every week whether you show up or not?

I'd fire you immediately if you drove up to my house, pulled away without doing any work and then charged me for work you never performed.

I just can't grasp the concept of taking money from my clients that I didn't earn.
They aren't charged weekly. That's the whole idea. You give them a price per month that includes maintaining the lawn that month. What's the big deal. I have a lot of clients set up this way
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-21-2014, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 205mx View Post
They aren't charged weekly. That's the whole idea. You give them a price per month that includes maintaining the lawn that month. What's the big deal. I have a lot of clients set up this way
Posted via Mobile Device
He said he is charging the client to mow once a week for 28 weeks (28 service visits) but he is providing less than 28 service visits.

If I was paying for 28 service visits, I'd want to receive 28 service visits.
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
Stihl HS56C Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS391 25" Bar Chainsaw
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
Earthquake 16" Rear Tine Tiller
Honda 9" Mini Tiller FG110
2014 GMC Sierra Denali HD
7' x 16' Enclosed V-Nose Trailer
6' x 12' Dump Trailer
Equipment & Trailer thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=415830
Old 03-21-2014, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 205mx View Post
They aren't charged weekly. That's the whole idea. You give them a price per month that includes maintaining the lawn that month. ....
All this said, as if the customer doesn't know third grade math.

These kinds of practices help to understand why "the lawn guy" is last, or nearly last, on the ratings of loyalty and perception.

I agree with the comment above, if I am charged the same regardless of whether or not the contractor performs a service, that contractor would no longer be my contractor for the next month. About all these skips, if it rains, what happened to all the loathing of customers who want their lawn cut every-other-week, how hard the cutting becomes, how much grass to handle, how poor the result, how hard it is on the equipment, etc.? I guess EOW is an OK practice in these cases, including periods of high growth rates, because the contractor gets paid, working or not, right?

Last edited by Roger; 03-21-2014 at 01:27 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Its not like if it rains on your mowing day we skip it for the week. It gets moved to the next day. I am talking about the swamp lawns that won't be able to be cut for a few days. Why should we have to mow an out of control lawn for the same per cut price. Also, we are a very respected lawn care company in our area. Its not like we are trying to screw our customers. We saw this as a necessary step to protect ourselves against severe weather conditions. We were sick of taking the fall for mother nature. Its the same as our plow contract. Same price if we plow 50 times or if we plow 7.

I have a question for you guys. If a customer asks you to skip a lawn in the summer, because it hasn't grown as much as it does in the spring or fall, are you guys glad to skip that easy cut?
Old 03-21-2014, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P&N LL View Post
Its not like if it rains on your mowing day we skip it for the week. It gets moved to the next day. I am talking about the swamp lawns that won't be able to be cut for a few days. Why should we have to mow an out of control lawn for the same per cut price. Also, we are a very respected lawn care company in our area. Its not like we are trying to screw our customers. We saw this as a necessary step to protect ourselves against severe weather conditions. We were sick of taking the fall for mother nature. Its the same as our plow contract. Same price if we plow 50 times or if we plow 7.

I have a question for you guys. If a customer asks you to skip a lawn in the summer, because it hasn't grown as much as it does in the spring or fall, are you guys glad to skip that easy cut?
I get paid for providing a service. If I don't provide the service, I don't charge the client.
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
Stihl HS56C Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS391 25" Bar Chainsaw
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
Earthquake 16" Rear Tine Tiller
Honda 9" Mini Tiller FG110
2014 GMC Sierra Denali HD
7' x 16' Enclosed V-Nose Trailer
6' x 12' Dump Trailer
Equipment & Trailer thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=415830
Old 03-21-2014, 05:46 PM
LawnSite Member

I am not here to argue, I am just telling you what has worked for us to grow our business as we have. It might not work for your business model, but it has for us. Going forward, I would hope that the original poster works up a contract for his existing and future clients. I don't think going to court should ever be an issue for lawn mowing, as I do not think most of our contracts would hold up. Saying that I think you will look more professional and at least the contract has parameters or what the customer should expect. Whether your contract is on a per cut or seasonal price is for another discussion. Best of luck. Go 'Merica