Old Yesterday, 12:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsteve View Post
I had to use the third one today for another rebuild and the date code on the bonnet looked like June of 15
Posted via Mobile Device
I spoke with the Product Manager again and he gave me more information that might explain this.

We saw this cracking problem on the 1 inch and 2 inch models and made changes to those models in 2010. The 1 1/2 inch model did not have enough of these reports to make us believe that its design needed to change. So, it is possible that you became familiar with the changes to the 1 and 2 inch models and now have purchased a 1 1/2 inch model which was not changed.

Is this the case? Are you seeing cracks in 1 1/2 inch models? (I think the answer is yes. I just want to confirm.)
(520) 741-6539
Old Yesterday, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Wolfarth View Post
This came in while I was typing my last response.
Are you sure that the design of the valve from 2015 is the same as valves prior to 2010? Which distributor and which branch? I will ask our sales person to check this out.
First of all thanks for the refresher on the proper tightening. Since I mostly service systems I rebuild until I have one that is cracked. I try not to overdue the tightening when installing these and haven't split one to my knowledge. I've found schedule 80 nipples and a premium teflon tape to work best. The reason I thought I had the old style valve was the diaphragm. The picture is what I'm calling the new style (large plastic circle just inside the seat area). Maybe I have the reinforced body and they changed the diaphragms back to the previous look. I'm sending a picture of the valve I just bought and maybe you can verify the date. The diaphragm that came with this valve in the picture did not have the large plastic circle. It looked like the ones from way back. Well I hope your not totally confused by the question. All the valves, good and bad are of the 2" variety.
Thanks
Attached Images

Old Yesterday, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
The reason I thought I had the old style valve was the diaphragm. The picture is what I'm calling the new style (large plastic circle just inside the seat area). Maybe I have the reinforced body and they changed the diaphragms back to the previous look. I'm sending a picture of the valve I just bought and maybe you can verify the date. The diaphragm that came with this valve in the picture did not have the large plastic circle. It looked like the ones from way back.
Here is more information from the Product Manager. Diaphragms are different for all sizes of the valve. Click the attached file. It shows pictures of all the diaphragms we currently make for all PEB valves.

If you want to order spares, tell the distributor to use the number that is highlighted in yellow when ordering from Rain Bird. Their part number is likely different.

Let me know if this clears up the mystery.

I will address the purple color like someone was wondering with the rotor question the other day. On this product it is more than a reclaimed water indicator. It is a different, more expensive material (EPDM) that withstands chlorine attack better. It lasts longer in chlorinated water. Other plastic parts in the valve are different also to withstand chlorine.

Thanks.
(520) 741-6539
Old Yesterday, 05:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

How does the EPDM do in other regards? Is the material for regular valve diaphragms still some form of Buna-N?
Old Yesterday, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
How does the EPDM do in other regards? Is the material for regular valve diaphragms still some form of Buna-N?
The EPDM performs very well in all areas that we test and it has shown long life in the field now that we have had them out there for many years.

I believe the other diaphragms that are not designated for use with reclaimed water are also a Buna-N material. The commercial valve diaphragms are fabric reinforced to give them the strength needed when used with the PRS-D device. That puts extra stress on the diaphragm. Testing has shown in the past that we don't need that fabric reinforcement on all valves, but we want to make these are durable as possible since diaphragms are one of the two things that wear out on valves.
(520) 741-6539
Old Yesterday, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Ron after looking at the diaphragms I must have been getting my 1 1/2" and 2" mixed up. I thought the new 2" had the plastic ring. So I dug the original cracked 2" out of the trash and compared the bodies with the ones I just bought. I can see more material on the new ones and the three I bought are the new style. Thank goodness my new master valve is the stronger version. Now another question. The old style diaphragm was the same for 2" and 1 1/2", are the new ones interchangeable as well ?
Old Yesterday, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
The old style diaphragm was the same for 2" and 1 1/2", are the new ones interchangeable as well ?
Yes, but.... The diaphragms will physically fit in the other valve. However, if you are using PRS-D and the flow is at the low end of the flow range, you might get some chatter. The differences in the diaphragms address that issue. So, better PRS-D at low flows is the reason for the difference.
(520) 741-6539
Old Today, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Wolfarth View Post
So, better PRS-D at low flows is the reason for the difference.
....better PRS-D performance at low flows......
(520) 741-6539

Tags
rain bird , rainbird