Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-02-2015, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I am using 30" and will be (2) 30's on a truck. When I timed all my current lawns with the 48 vs 30 the time difference was negligible. The 48 rarely beat the 30". But that didn't answer your question haha. The only other way that would make sense in my are IMO is a 36" stander, 2 man crew, mower and helper. I am not settled on using 30's but thats where I am starting. Maybe for the second crew I will experiment a little with different mower combinations/sizes.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The 30's do seem like a viable option instead of using the 36in.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-02-2015, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawizx62003 View Post
I am using 30" and will be (2) 30's on a truck. When I timed all my current lawns with the 48 vs 30 the time difference was negligible. The 48 rarely beat the 30". But that didn't answer your question haha. The only other way that would make sense in my are IMO is a 36" stander, 2 man crew, mower and helper. I am not settled on using 30's but thats where I am starting. Maybe for the second crew I will experiment a little with different mower combinations/sizes.
Please explain more how the 30" kept up with the 48"? That's quite a big size difference in the deck
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-02-2015, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple L View Post
Please explain more how the 30" kept up with the 48"? That's quite a big size difference in the deck
Posted via Mobile Device
Average property size about 12000 sq ft. They get into books and crannies better and turn on a dime. Quicker to unload. It didn't win by a landslide and didn't win everytime. They were always within a few minutes of each other. This is my experience. I timed every lawn I had, the clock don't lie. I will say my walk behind is a little old and may not be as fast as a new one but you can only walk so fast. Imost lawns also have gates a 48 won't for throigh
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-03-2015, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mow Mony View Post
anyone else running larger walkbehind mowers in all in one trucks? Seems like most of the all in one setups like justmowit, cititurf, lawn jockey are using 21" mowers only...
I am. I use a 30" exmark a lot, and a 21" sometimes(hills),but whenever we can use the 50" rider on one trailer, or a 48" walk behind on the other trailer, we will. Not just to save some time, but even more importantly to cut down on the miles walked.

Small push style mowers are tough on the feet and legs.

And I have a lot of small lawns mixed in with bigger lawns and I am not going to cut 1/4 acre with a 21", unless the customer wants to pay a lot more, and normally they won't. The 30" is pushing it's limits on that size lot.

Many times more than one size mower will be used on a particular property.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I run 2-33" per truck, cut properties around my area perfectly. Pic is old, but still run same set up with newer chevys.
Attached Images

Hot Rubberized Crack Sealing
Ashpalt Sealcoating.
Complete Lawncare
Snow & Ice Managment

Last edited by shepoutside; 01-26-2015 at 12:54 PM.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuallyVette View Post
I read the 1st 5 pages. I doubt that he gets any better than my diesel duallys. empty 16 mpg, towing my 27ft enclosed gooseneck 10 mph (city mpg) I could pull my aluminum motorcycle trailer with a Surfer ( origional Great Dane) and get 16mpg. I still WANT to pull my big trailer. If I need a tool....ITS IN THERE !
I totally agree with you but we're looking to do the same thing with the box truck/van because we don't have enough room to turn around with our 20 foot enclosed on the back of a 1ton dump
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-20-2015, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cps View Post
I totally agree with you but we're looking to do the same thing with the box truck/van because we don't have enough room to turn around with our 20 foot enclosed on the back of a 1ton dump
Posted via Mobile Device
Everyone I have talked to that has a similar setup gets just over 20 MPG. I will be able to confirm or deny this in about 6 more weeks. While the fuel savings is attractive, its not the whole ball game. Building this truck is the same reason why you would buy an NPR with a grassbody on it, efficiency. The fuel milage is just another perk. The labor savings is where it really shines. Other perk, no trailer. You can still have a custom body built to hold everything your trailer holds. Just on a bigger truck....