Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-11-2014, 06:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Richardson you have close to a month under your belt now with the walker mower. So what do you think? Pros and cons. I am looking at getting one this fall. Need your review.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just do it Jason. You will never look back!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-23-2014, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengiant9963 View Post
Richardson you have close to a month under your belt now with the walker mower. So what do you think? Pros and cons. I am looking at getting one this fall. Need your review.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajordan193 View Post
Just do it Jason. You will never look back!
Posted via Mobile Device
I never thought I'd say it, but I do like it. I would say that the dealer that we took a demo out from last year is really hurting themselves by only letting it go out for a day at a time. It is not a machine that you can just jump on and be proficient at after a few hours. I am told that a Walker is more maneuverable than a Stander, and I still have yet to see that.

PROS:
-Obviously the cut is fantastic
-Having 2 trim trim sides really helps out and cuts down on doubling back
-I like how the deck flips up so easy for storage and blade changes
-High Maintenance- I say that partially as a pro because it has something like 38 grease fittings and I love grease fittings and serviceable parts on machines
-Vacuums stuff up like I've never seen before- Can't wait for fall cleanups with this thing!

CONS:
-Takes up a LOT of space on my trailer
-High maintenance (takes a while to grease all 38 of those fittings and clean everything on a regular basis)
-Parts seem to be expensive and the machine seems like certain things could be difficult to repair or replace
-Its slow- Maybe the newer ones are better, but my Standers can run circles around this thing.

NOT SURE (Pros or Cons??):
-The bagging system is great in that a lawn that I might empty the Stander bag 4 or 5 times, I can do on one load with the Walker. I originally thought that emptying the bin would be a challenge because I don't have a "walker truck" as we call them, but we have a system now that we basically just shove a green barrel under the bin and scoop the grass out by hand and then throw the barrel into the truck. On smaller houeses, sometimes I can do 2 or 3 houses before I have to empty the bin. Honestly I have no idea why people spend all this money on special trucks and trailer ramps to accommodate this mower because we have found that the green barrel method works just fine. As I mentioned earlier, the mower is slow compared to the Standers. That said, the bagging system helps because even though theres more "mow time" there isnt as much driving back and forth to the truck to empty the bag. Also having 2 trim sides to the mower which avoids doubling back helps to. Whether all of these factors outweigh the lack of speed, I'm not sure and neither are my guys. The jury is definitely still out on that one.

-It is an owner-operator machine. Again, with the dealer kind of inadvertently scaring me away from it, when we demoed it they handed us a box full of spare parts and said here you might need these, watch out for uneven ground and tree roots and drain covers, etc. The more I use it, the more I realize that its not as fragile as they say. It goes over contours of the ground quite well, and doesnt catch on as many roots and such as I was led onto. At the same time though, for reasons of price, expense of repair, and slight fragility, it is a machine that YOU run, not "the guys." The few times this year that my employees have gone out and cut lawns on their own without me, the Walker came off the trailer and the other Stander went back on.

-It is not a mower that you use on every lawn. This is a machine that is "reserved" for the high end properties and those customers who are willing to pay a little more. I get a very fair price for most of my higher end lawns so I just started doing those with it. Some people notice and care, some people don't. To improve efficiency of the crew (when I have a 3 man crew), I'll have one person cut the back with the Stander and I'll do the front really nice with the Walker, or if I know that the customer spends most of their time in the back yard then I'll do the opposite. The downside to this equation is that on some of our much bigger lawns that are not Walker lawns and are not bagged, not having the 2 Standers does significantly slow us down. Unfortunately these properties are scattered throughout the route so we couldnt just take 2 Standers on one day and then switch one out for the Walker on the other days.

Overall I'm happy that I bought it and I paid what I did for it, I really don't think at this point that I would have taken the plunge to buy a brand new one so I'm glad I was able to find this one to try it out. I also don't think that I use it enough to justify the price tag of a brand new one either, but that may change as business advances.

My Pictures:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=302091

Last edited by RLS24; 07-23-2014 at 01:26 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

And a few things that we've been up to lately. This job we were on for a while, and I am very pleased with how it came out. I'm waiting to take final "after" pictures until the grass that we planted comes in, so the "before" and "in progress" will have to do for now but you get the idea.

BEFORE

IN-PROGRESS

My Pictures:
Old 07-23-2014, 01:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I rented a Bobcat S570 for the job, I wish I could have bought it

Also bought a concrete saw, unfortunately Echo doesnt make one any more so Shindaiwa had to do

And I made some updates to my truck, added a 2" lift, new 35x12.5 General Grabber AT2s, Harley Davidson Eddition grill and also bought an SCT Livewire tuner

As you may have noticed in the above pics, I also acquired a dump trailer. This is the same one that I had sold to a buddy a few years back and he has since since scaled down his business to pursue other things. He painted it red to match his fleet of trucks.

My Pictures:
Old 07-23-2014, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

And finally, some Walker stripes. The lawns are getting rather parched around here but it still stripes good

My Pictures: