Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-25-2014, 07:39 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Fungal issues in St Aug-your thoughts

It is nearing large patch season for SA in my area. I've actually seen a lot of grey leaf spot all season due to unusually wet summer and the fact that I have a lot of shady lawns. My understanding is these diseases start with extended leaf wetness of 10 hours or more. I'd like to hear your ideas on minimizing these conditions beyond fungicide applications. One thing I noticed is SA cut lower seems to have less issues with this, maybe due to the area drying out quicker. On fungicides what are your choices?
Old 08-25-2014, 07:45 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Hmmm.... If standing water about all you can do is drainage work.

If leaves are ataying wet from irrigation and heavy dew I always try to cut back limbs/shrubs/etc to increase air flow.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-25-2014, 08:47 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmasterswilson View Post
Hmmm.... If standing water about all you can do is drainage work.

If leaves are ataying wet from irrigation and heavy dew I always try to cut back limbs/shrubs/etc to increase air flow.
Posted via Mobile Device
Not standing water, just wet from dew or rainfall, not over irrigating. Lots of cloudy days. Yes, cutting limbs to the degree possible but in most cases already done just a heavy canopy with large mature trees.

At times others have mentioned "out growing" large patch, can anyone explain what they mean?

Others have mentioned slow release fertilizers may increase the outbreak in some cases, please explain.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Member

After reading a thread on here about dollar spot I started fertilizing yards with straight urea and ALL issues were solved. Dollar spot gone. Bare spots( sping dead spot) filled in quickly. Etc. slow release fert for us is gonna be a thing of the past for us next yr.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-27-2014, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETM View Post
After reading a thread on here about dollar spot I started fertilizing yards with straight urea and ALL issues were solved. Dollar spot gone. Bare spots( sping dead spot) filled in quickly. Etc. slow release fert for us is gonna be a thing of the past for us next yr.
Posted via Mobile Device
That's because dollar spot is associated with low N fertility. Using urea is giving it a lot more N at once. N is definitely not the cure for Patch diseases in St. Aug.
I like heritage. It's expensive, but it gives you a good residual compared to most other products...actually any strobilurin works well. Quali-pro just came out with Strobe, which is a generic heritage. Clearys 3336 works pretty well too. I usually rotate between Clearys and Heritage. No problems with patch diseases.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spraytek View Post
That's because dollar spot is associated with low N fertility. Using urea is giving it a lot more N at once. N is definitely not the cure for Patch diseases in St. Aug.
I like heritage. It's expensive, but it gives you a good residual compared to most other products...actually any strobilurin works well. Quali-pro just came out with Strobe, which is a generic heritage. Clearys 3336 works pretty well too. I usually rotate between Clearys and Heritage. No problems with patch diseases.
Got the generic heritage today for $285 per pound(heritage was 30). Price is coming down but still high for upselling preventative fungicides.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spraytek View Post
Your Right you win the internet lol I was replying to the RONG thought in my lil ol brain sorry.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-28-2014, 06:50 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmasterswilson View Post
Got the generic heritage today for $285 per pound(heritage was 30). Price is coming down but still high for upselling preventative fungicides.
http://www.solutionsstores.com/Searc...?Search=strobe

Just letting you know