Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-13-2014, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Snow melted, winter lawn evaluation

I put seed down on October 11. It is a shade mix with cool season varieties. Seedling hadn't been mown before frosts hit them. I'm afraid they're toast. This whole area was bare dirt.
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2014, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Here's the fescue in my side yard. Why does it look like this?
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2014, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

In that 1st. picture you planted seed 50 day's too late. Those result's aren't a surprise. This year shoot for seeding during the last week of August. The proper rate, seed, moisture and cultivation can make a big difference.

In the 2nd. picture, that's what semi-dormant grass look's like. Slow down a little, you might have early spring fever, winter isn't over yet. Good luck.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Member

You don't mention if you did any soil cultivation (i.e. aerification, slicing, tilling) prior to seeding. As you likely know, doing so will significantly increase your chances of success. The seedlings may or may not be dead. If you've had prolonged snow cover this winter they may be OK but, on the other hand, if it's been cold and dry, there's probably been some loss. You said you used a cool season shade mix, most of which have a high % of fescue. As far as I know, most of the fescues are not very cold hardy as seedlings especially in comparison to the kentucky bluegrass that's probably also in the mix. If you've had a couple of good freeze/thaw cycles this winter some of the seed that didn't pop may have worked itself into the soil and may still be viable but it looks as though you'll probably need to re-seed in spring after culitvating the soil. The other poster mentioned you seeded too late which is probably true but optimal fall seeding windows vary by region/climate. I've done plenty of seeding in October that's turned out well but it obviously depends on the weather and the level of maintenance of the seedbed/seedlings.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

One thing is for sure, its shaping up to be a bad spring for SNOW MOLD!!!
Old 02-08-2014, 03:12 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC816smith View Post
Here's the fescue in my side yard. Why does it look like this?

thats a fungus.

your grass is sick… like having a cold….

however the good news is it can just be fertilized and mowed out.

you COULD treat it with fungicide, or pretreat it in the late fall so it never gets like this, but it's a tad expensive….

When soil temps get higher (65 would be about right) and the grass is starting to grow…fertilize with high nitrogen…. maybe a 24-12-8
cut the grass more than once a week for several weeks in a row, and that striped fungus will go away.

the preventive application for fungicide is way cheaper than the curative rate tho… might what to consider a fungicide application next fall….

I dont recall if there is any homeowner accessible fungicide or if its all restricted access…. but either way you could just call someone and pay them to make the app too.