Register free!

Old 08-02-2014, 03:04 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

How busy is too busy? Are you busy enough that you can add another crew and still bring the same take home pay or less, or are you busy enough that you can add another crew and bring in more take home pay?

I ask myself that a lot, we are basically maxed out with two trucks and 3 or 4 guys. I have enough work that I could do to add another truck, but with the initial investment in purchasing a truck, would it be worth it?

I've got 2 young sons, 9, 4.... I made it to 3 little league games this year and I pretty much hated that, however I'm making a good contribution financially for them, so does that justify not being there in person? I'll answer it like this....

I had it pretty good growing up, only child, only grandchild (on both sides), so I was somewhat spoiled. I never saw my dad much because he was always working his 7-3 job, and he had a side HVAC business that he usually worked till dark in the evenings. I never had anything to ask for, we always took great vacations (went to Disney something like 12 years in a row). Then I grew up, went to college and got married. I realized what I missed out and it hit my dad pretty hard too. It's almost a real version of "the cats in the cradle" song. I've spent more "quality" time with my dad in the past 12 years since I've been married than I did from the time I was born till I was 22.

None of us is guaranteed tomorrow, or even this evening. If you've got kids, ENJOY them now! I have to watch myself carefully or I'll find myself following in my dad's footsteps, providing for the family, but not being there for the family. Last year was the first time in 4 years that I had enough trust in my business to take a true weeks vacation, In the previous years it was always just 2 or 3 days max. It's tough as a small business owner to find the balance to work enough but still have enough time off in most cases.