Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-12-2015, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etwman View Post
They get washed or wiped down every day before they roll out. Guys are pretty meticulous with this. The other thing that really helps is the fact that we can keep all our trucks inside the shop. This keeps them out of the sun on the weekends, etc. This really helps keep the paint jobs nice. We will try and keep doing this, but if we ever expand the building, the first thing that will have to go is inside bays. Time will tell.....
Thanks Jarod. My office park neighbor that does drywall ( and we think landscaping is competitive) just bought a king air 90 NEW and paid cash 3.8) and stores his trucks inside.

I think its not about owning a 2015 isuzu npr or a 2015 Freightliner , I think it is about taking pride in your workmanship, not just your work but everything you touch.

Hopefully, I will meet you at Grow this year. I will be flying in if vfr permits.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-12-2015, 09:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Unfortunately I won't get to GROW this year because of another obligation. It will be a great conference and if you can go I'm sure you'll benefit a lot from it.
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 01-12-2015, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Unfortunately I won't get to GROW this year because of another obligation. It will be a great conference and if you can go I'm sure you'll benefit a lot from it.
I had an idea today. I have a sort of similar tool box on my 19,500 isuzu frr as your freightliners. It is a steel burrito box that we have converted to tool storage. I really like the stainless look that contrast with the black. I am thinking about wrapping it with chrome vinyl. I Have seen luxury cars done like this. What do you think?
Old 01-20-2015, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It's January 19th and I'm looking at crews rolling out to start a new backyard project that needs done by Memorial Day Weekend. It's great when you can roll crews in the dead of winter! Lord knows it wasn't that way last winter.

Here's the tidbit of advice for 2015. It may have been mentioned earlier in this thread but its so important that its worth mentioning again. Surround yourself with like minded individuals in this industry. Great leaders, who want to build or have built great businesses. Last week I was with some great friends in DC who run incredible landscape companies in the east. We sat at a conference table for two days and talked about a wide array of topics pertinent to our businesses.

So here's where I'm going with this. You don't have to drive 3 hours to sit in a conference room with top caliber guys. If you can, great, but I'm sure there are plenty of very smart local business owners that you can get together with and grab a cup of coffee, etc. Surround yourself with knuckleheads that don't care about businesses, do unethical things, and look at it as a hobby and that's what you'll become. Get together with great guys and they will push you to get better.

Someone asked me a great question a while back. The question was if you could turn back time 10 years, what is the one thing you would have done sooner that would have expedited the growth of your company to where it is today. Answer: Get together with great business owners and pick their brains. The peer group I'm in of 12 other landscape business owners has become a vital component of our companies growth.

On my way down to DC last week I called Todd last minute from RWF and we grabbed a cup of coffee for an hour at a Wegman's. Great as always catching up with him and boy has his company grown. Once again, walking away with a few new ideas.

Take it for what its worth, you can't do it all on your own. I don't care how much you read, spend time on this forum, or what college you attend. Real life support from smart people is where its at.

Make it a great season.
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."

Last edited by etwman; 01-20-2015 at 09:23 AM.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
It's January 19th and I'm looking at crews rolling out to start a new backyard project that needs done by Memorial Day Weekend. It's great when you can roll crews in the dead of winter! Lord knows it wasn't that way last winter.

Here's the tidbit of advice for 2015. It may have been mentioned earlier in this thread but its so important that its worth mentioning again. Surround yourself with like minded individuals in this industry. Great leaders, who want to build or have built great businesses. Last week I was with some great friends in DC who run incredible landscape companies in the east. We sat at a conference table for two days and talked about a wide array of topics pertinent to our businesses.

So here's where I'm going with this. You don't have to drive 3 hours to sit in a conference room with top caliber guys. If you can, great, but I'm sure there are plenty of very smart local business owners that you can get together with and grab a cup of coffee, etc. Surround yourself with knuckleheads that don't care about businesses, do unethical things, and look at it as a hobby and that's what you'll become. Get together with great guys and they will push you to get better.

Someone asked me a great question a while back. The question was if you could turn back time 10 years, what is the one thing you would have done sooner that would have expedited the growth of your company to where it is today. Answer: Get together with great business owners and pick their brains. The peer group I'm in of 12 other landscape business owners has become a vital component of our companies growth.

On my way down to DC last week I called Todd last minute from RWF and we grabbed a cup of coffee for an hour at a Wegman's. Great as always catching up with him and boy has his company grown. Once again, walking away with a few new ideas.

Take it for what its worth, you can't do it all on your own. I don't care how much you read, spend time on this forum, or what college you attend. Real life support from smart people is where its at.

Make it a great season.
You make an extremely valid point. I would go so far as to say this applies in all aspects of your life. I grew up playing hockey as a goalie and learned early on I needed to play with current or former college and pro players to get better. Not with average players that couldn't teach me new things, either by talking to them or their on ice actions. On a side note , that must be some project to take 4.5 months..Good for you !!!
Steve