LawnSite Member

Valve Flutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deekay1622 View Post
https://vimeo.com/120242238

hi Ron,

The video shows a valve I'm having problems with. Posted via Mobile Device
Deekay,
I am sorry to take so long in responding.
Since this is a valve that was working fine and only recently began fluttering like in the video and no other changes to the system have been made, it must be a change in the valve.

The most common source of trouble and changes in a valve is debris. This fluttering COULD be caused by debris somewhere between the bonnet chamber (above the diaphragm) and the outlet of the valve. If this becomes partially blocked, flow from the bonnet chamber is restricted. The diaphragm would lift off the seat much more slowly than before. This would present the opportunity for it to flutter. If the debris is in the solenoid area, it is possible that it interferes with the speed with which the solenoid is able to completely stop the flow of water draining off the top of the diaphragm. This could slow the closing of the valve and also cause the flutter on closing.

I suggest the tried and true method of replacing the diaphragm and solenoid. Also, get that high tech tool known as a paper clip, straighten it out and stick it into the dump port in the solenoid bowl and shove it down until you hit the bottom of the valve outlet to ensure nothing is jammed in the dump port. You don't want to damage the very top of the dump port where the solenoid seals on it, but there is nothing inside that port that you can damage with a paper clip. Rinse thoroughly ensuring no debris is introduced in this process and reassemble the valve.

If this does not work, replace the valve with a 1 inch valve which is what it probably should have been in the first place. (I understand if you have to curse now.) You said this is a 1 1/2 inch valve. 20 GPM is the very bottom of the flow range of this valve. So, it will work, at least until something changes like debris in the wrong place.

As an aside, 3/4 inch pipe as the outlet pipe seems mighty small! But that is another story. I am sure that you had nothing to do with it, so you likely don't know why this was done. You are just dealing with it now.

Let me know the outcome of this.

Ron Wolfarth - Principal Product Manager - Rain Bird Corporation

Tags
rain bird , rainbird