search sponsored by:
Advanced Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-05-2015, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Member
Did a post in the commercial side but thought I'd try here too. Looking at zero turns to buy in the next few days. I do light commercial with lots of hills. I may cut 10-15 hours a month total. I've narrowed it down to a Kubota z122e, snapper pro 150xt, gravely zt-hd, ferris is600z. Wanting to stay in that 5k range. I have a kubota and John Deere dealer less then 5 miles away and snapper less then 15. Wanting to stay with 3100 axles minimum. Bad boy lost me when I found out they do an 8% fee to finance. Anybody have any experience or recommendations? Thanks in advance
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-21-2015, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Member
Hi - I would appreciate any feedback I could get on the following mowers. I am considering a Walker Mt23. I have about between 1-2 acres that gets bagged most of the time and another 2.5 acres that is pretty smooth that doesn't get bagged and another acre that is old farm land and is still fairly rough. I have several other mowers that can handle the non bagged areas just fine but am looking at getting a mower that can easily handle the bagging and has ease of use over all. Ease to work on maintenance wise, especially the deck. But in looking at the expense involved, would like to make sure I get the machine that has some versatility as well, to make the sting a little less of the approx $13,000 expense. I know the Walker is considered a cadillac of machines for grass handling but is is any good with the front loader option? Also, it has been difficult to get answers about the warranty for a Walker and that troubles me a little.
I also just found the Woods mowers, and while they aren't quite as sleek on the grass catching, they seem to offer more power and versatility for implements and are still easy access for the deck and the front deck to make getting into tighter spots easier with less trimming. I know that expecting a mower to serve the purpose of what most people have a tractor for is a reach, but it is how these are being presented and I just don't have $13-15k to spend on a mower and then another $20k for a tractor. I know that Woods has been considered good for bush hogs but don't know much about them as mowers. The areas that are bagged are used for my business and that being done is not optional. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Currently have White ZT54, JD LX288
Old 08-26-2015, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Member
Originally Posted by terceslil View Post
Looks like the serial number on this mower belongs to a 2003.

So, I have a 2003 instead of a 2005. Needs all new belts. Needs tune up. Dry rotted tires. Smokes + loses power under load, so may have carb or coil problems, or valves may need adjusting.

I already ordered my oil filter, fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs...

Texted the seller one more time for no response. Hellova deal for $900.
Posted via Mobile Device

Turns out I did get a hellova deal for $900. I'm still using the same walk behind I bought back in 2011 and the belt just popped tonight. (I have a 2003 Exmark 48" w/15hp Kawasaki. The model is MHP4815KAC, serial number 394840.) So, all I've really done to the mower is maintenance after we got the pesky bugs out.

It didn't need all new belts or have dry rotted tires as I originally posted. I was wrong about those two things.

How big of an undertaking is this belt?
Old 08-28-2015, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Member
I have the covers off the deck and attempted to change the drive belt. There's not much to it. There was a youtube video online that explains it perfectly. I ordered the wrong belt, though. I looked up the part number based on Exmark's website and my model/serial number. When I took the cover off of the deck, I saw the part number for the belt that is on the deck is not the same as the part number that I ordered.

The youtube video suggests that parts houses are able to find the belt by measurement. Has anyone been able to cross reference the Exmark belts to the cheaper belts that can be found at automotive stores? There's a big price difference in the $50 Exmark brand (or Stens replacements) and the $3-$4 automotive store belts.

It looks like I would need a 137" x 5/8" V-Belt. The Bestorq B134 Rubber V-Belt, Wrapped, Black, 137" Length x 0.66" Width x 0.44" Height might fit. The outside length of the belt is 137".

Has anyone ever used this belt instead of the Exmark belt?