Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-24-2006, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i don't bag much.

i bought the discharge piece for it.bagging takes too much time and isn't necessary.the honda mower i have is the only thing i have bought at homeless depot.they suck around here.they do have the makita chainsaw (dolmar) which is an awesome saw but you can get it 100 bucks cheaper on ebay.ebay is a great place to buy equipment by the way.so is craigslist.com and backpage.com so is your local classified paper.also.the home depot rental center sells it's equipment after a certain amount of time.

i bought my stihl HS80 30" hedge trimmers there for $200.they were in such good shape i didn't even try and talk the guy down on price.since they are 439 new i felt i got a good deal.i bought my scag 52 hydro wb ($1500),vermeer chipper,chainsaws,several chainsaw parts,and stumpgrinder on ebay.i had to drive a couple of hours for some of it but it was well worth it.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm on pace to make 65K this year at my Full-Time Job... Going to College, raising two kids, plus my wife stays at home. But this is something I have been wanting to do since high school.. I want to leave something for my son to take over if he please's. Start small, then grow to have 3-5 crews working for me.. Pay with Cash as I go along, my first year goal is 12-15 clients, and 5 landscape jobs... Keep my eye on the prize.... Good Luck
Old 07-24-2006, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

good for you.

i used to do lawn service in knoxville tn and chesapeake va area.alot of work.
personnaly i have plenty of work with the tree service and mechanical work here in central CT but i'm gonna start doing a few lawns again for a select few.i just always found mowing relaxing.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornett22
i bought the discharge piece for it.bagging takes too much time and isn't necessary.the honda mower i have is the only thing i have bought at homeless depot.they suck around here.they do have the makita chainsaw (dolmar) which is an awesome saw but you can get it 100 bucks cheaper on ebay.ebay is a great place to buy equipment by the way.so is craigslist.com and backpage.com so is your local classified paper.also.the home depot rental center sells it's equipment after a certain amount of time.

i bought my stihl HS80 30" hedge trimmers there for $200.they were in such good shape i didn't even try and talk the guy down on price.since they are 439 new i felt i got a good deal.i bought my scag 52 hydro wb ($1500),vermeer chipper,chainsaws,several chainsaw parts,and stumpgrinder on ebay.i had to drive a couple of hours for some of it but it was well worth it.
All good tips.

Ya, I was raking out the client's neighbor's grass clippings he dumped in my client's yard before spreading pine straw and while uncovering a garden snake to torture, and it was going through my head, "the sticks aren't a big deal, but i'm not equiped to dispose of lawn clippings because it takes too much time, because it robs the soil, and because it costs too much dispose this pile of useless rubbish when it is concentrated. you're the exact reason why i left software because there is never a shortage of completely rude, ignorant, arrogant, over-paid asswholes like yourself. you're lucky the woman in property management hasn't called the city to fine you for illegal dumping. she might be too nice to do it, and i'm refraining very hard from doing it."

$200 for a stihl 30" hedge trimmer does sound nice.

scag 52 hydro does sound good at $1500 for those larger yards where the 22 inch blade seems to result in more day dreams than cut yards. I'll need to get a trailer first. Until then, I'll stick with my $100 mower for now which seem better built than the same mowers another guy ran full-time for a whole season without a problem.

Stump grinder and chipper would be nice to have even for those easy 2-5 year saplings that for some reason other yard guys don't want to touch, probably because they don't have a chain saw. Had to buy a replacement chain for my dad's chainsaw though. It was pricey at $22. I do plan to get the herbicide license though so I can at least spray the stumps.

I'm a bit nervous about buying used equipment. Either something is wrong with it or someone called it quits. I have noticed EBay does carry a lot new items for sale usually below what they retail in those over-priced authorized dealer brick-and-mortar shops where they read the instruction manual for you to teach you how to crank that saw chain.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDNCLAWNCARE
I'm on pace to make 65K this year at my Full-Time Job... Going to College, raising two kids, plus my wife stays at home. But this is something I have been wanting to do since high school.. I want to leave something for my son to take over if he please's. Start small, then grow to have 3-5 crews working for me.. Pay with Cash as I go along, my first year goal is 12-15 clients, and 5 landscape jobs... Keep my eye on the prize.... Good Luck
Ya, my last real job, I worked from home making $73K/year to develop Sprint's OnDemand software until it was delivered and contract ended. I'm qualified to make $94K/year working in the office. However, I'd rather sue my first employer for wage discrimination, giving me minimum pay raises and brow beating my communication skills when I have a speech disability when I was the only person in the government software sweat shop who won any recognition from my work than return to that industry.

I just received 3 compliments today for my work I'm doing on this yard. I would be criticized in my last career for quality work deserving of praise because I was being inefficient delivering something that couldn't win years of maintenance and debugging work while I should have been managing expectations, patting the egos of my coworkers, and properly using verbal communication skill rather than using excessive written communication.

And I felt great because I'm getting exercise and look 20-something again instead of that aging leper who was destroying neurons and rapidly losing social skill while rotting mind and body at the computer.

Also, it feels good going all cash. Being in financial ruin feels a lot better than living the fear of financial ruin. I broke my habit of fast food and constant soda pop while I was at it and replaced it with water and sweet tea.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDNCLAWNCARE
I left my Jewish wife turned Christian so that Jesus could forgive her for living up to the stereotype. Going bankrupt and getting her to get a job to flirt with rich old men by selling suits was a convenient way to get rid of her. Fortunately, God took her ability to have any more kids after her 3rd husband so when she asked for alimony in the divorce, everyone got a good laugh. Her daughter didn't appreciate the turbo, silver Volkswagen with sunroof anyway. It was a good way to get her own father to buy her a broken down ghetto car after I asked the bank to come get the Volkswagen with the bankruptcy. I think she felt better about her father who makes the same amount as I did doing something for her, using me as a means to motivate him.

So now I'm living with my sister and convenient bankruptcy with the joy of being a nanny to her two boys. I'm trying to unspoil them and get them prepared for the real world. It feels good when the oldest tells the youngest to stop crying like a baby and help clean the kitchen without me even telling the oldest to clean the kitchen so I can cook.

Good reasonable goals. Keep the eye on the prize. Good luck to you as well.

Last edited by GardnerLandscaping; 07-25-2006 at 02:03 AM.