Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-01-2011, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Member

I got in a jam once and I had my 61' Bobcat go down and had to have it go to the shop for a part. My lil bro picked it up at the job in his 4cyl 4x4 ranger and my 6x10 tilt bed and that was it. About a 10 mile drive and he said he got into 4th gear 2 times lil bit rough on the truck. My two trucks were out on jobs!
Old 11-05-2013, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Member

I started my business with a 1997 Ford Ranger. Mowing residential lawns out of the back of it. With a 500 dollar 21" Honda push mower, Sthl weeder, and handheld blower. Did 20 lawns a week, my first year in the business. Worked out pretty good outta the back of a ranger starting out. Thinking about going back to Rangers with custom flat beds with 48 inch walk behind ? What do u guys think?
Old 11-05-2013, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Get an auto ranger 01+ with the 2.3 and you will net around 20mpg around town pulling a small trailer. I have an 01 w/5spd manual. It pulls fine but it's hard on the clutch and hard to pull off going up hills. The auto has the same transmission as the v6 and the horsepower isn't much of a difference maybe 15 if I remember right. I have pulled my 20ft CC Shamrock full keel inboard with the ranger without issues but it won't pull it up a ramp without 4k rpm slipping the clutch on purpose. In 01 they went to a DOHC (duratec) 2.3 engine which is a mazda engine. It is a lot more reliable than the older 2.3 and has a timing chain too.