Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-14-2014, 07:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Rear Idler Replacement?

Hey guys, My CASE TR320 has blown a drive motor hydraulic supply line. The drive motor has to be removed for the repair. At least it's on the same side as the "leaker", so I'll replace the drive motor at the same time.

The former owner obviously used this machine quite a bit pushing with the front of the tracks off the ground. The rear idlers have worn pretty wavy and deformed where they contact the tracks.

I planned on leaving the idlers alone until I replaced the tracks later this summer, but since I'll have the one track off anyway should I replace the one idler now?
Old 05-14-2014, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Unless idler is causing more issues and bearing is okay i would wait.It is more likely a cosmetic thing now then issue.Try to make it until you do the complete track replacement.

Sounds like you have more important issue for now.Good luck
Old 05-15-2014, 01:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just replaced mine as a track finally broke (Bridgestones). I was waiting for the track to go before I did the rollers and they were well used. One side actually had a couple of cracks. I have to say, Bridgestone makes a long wearing track.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks guys, I'll wait until I replace the tracks.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxridernorth View Post
I just replaced mine as a track finally broke (Bridgestones). I was waiting for the track to go before I did the rollers and they were well used. One side actually had a couple of cracks. I have to say, Bridgestone makes a long wearing track.
I know that Bridgestone has a good rep, but I am not that impressed with the wear on my TR320. The depth of tread is fine, especially since I had to train everyone not burn the tracks off with this CTL. It is the cracks that concern me, a lot of cracking. I have 700 hours on the tracks, I am hoping to get 1000 or so, but I don't know if that will happen.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksss View Post
I know that Bridgestone has a good rep, but I am not that impressed with the wear on my TR320. The depth of tread is fine, especially since I had to train everyone not burn the tracks off with this CTL. It is the cracks that concern me, a lot of cracking. I have 700 hours on the tracks, I am hoping to get 1000 or so, but I don't know if that will happen.
That's the issue with mine too at 870 hrs, plenty of tread but lots of cracks.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

That much is true, lots of cracks and still good tread depth. Cracks don't concern me as much as chunking and for the variable soil conditions here, I'd say they performed well.

My machine was second hand and when I got it a few years ago I assumed that I would be replacing them in short order. The fact that they lasted as long as they did was surprising but also in large part due to having an owner/operator running the machine.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Had a crack on one of mine(Bridgestones) at 200 hours worried myself all the way up to 2100 hours before changing them.Still had good high on the tread,but crack was getting back into the surface where the roller was running so changed them out.

Now running the Polor Tread (Bridgestones) and I'm real happy with them.Holding up better then the tear drop shape track designs pads.Better traction very little sign of cracking,chunking or wear.At close to 1500 hours now on them.

Mostly just dirtwork here tho!