Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-26-2006, 07:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I was 17 at the time...and they Irrigation super put me up to it...gave me snap ring pliers and told me to go change the check valve.....he had showed me how to do it on the bench in the shop...was my 1st day on the irrigation crew....

I was aiming to please and they were watching from a distance....they thought it was real funny also....

Years later as an Assistant Golf Course Super...I was guilty of doing the same thing to another young puppy...
Old 05-26-2006, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprinklerGuy
I was 17 at the time...and they Irrigation super put me up to it...gave me snap ring pliers and told me to go change the check valve.....he had showed me how to do it on the bench in the shop...was my 1st day on the irrigation crew....

I was aiming to please and they were watching from a distance....they thought it was real funny also....

Years later as an Assistant Golf Course Super...I was guilty of doing the same thing to another young puppy...
ROFLMAO. Nope, I wasn't that green by the time we saw plastic Toro heads. BUT, 1 Ĺ" Bird in a can valve in heads. The big guns. Did you ever manually open one from the top? They didn't tell me to check the direction before turning it on...............Those things will take the hide right off of you if you get hit that close (160 psi pump house static. Prob ONLY 120 psi at the valve in head). Knocked me on my can and I had a burn through a good pair of jeans from the blast. You would get sued for doing that to a green worker these days.
....but still a bargain compared to anything else.
And I NEVER say I told you so out loud.
How many Hats can you wear?
Old 05-26-2006, 12:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprinklerGuy

we had a tradition at my first company I worked for that we still do at my company.

Every time we get a new laborer/employee we offer to teach him how to hook up the mainline... It's a poly mainline and one end is sealed from the factory. We'll hook up the other end after the backflow and turn on the water. Someone then teaches the new guy how to cut poly by sitting right over the hole. The whole crew has crept around to watch by this point as they cut the pipe under pressure and get washed.
Old 05-26-2006, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My helper got a suprise the other day when we cut the poly from the new roll...hissssssssss
Old 05-26-2006, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I love the hiss. A cooling breeze on a hot day.