Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-22-2014, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
My only suggestion is better grass. I mean--improved turfgrass seed--perhaps applied every fall--or every other year in the fall. You should get darker green, disease resistance, and thicker-tighter grass.
Spring is fine, too if irrigation or weather is adequate.

Power rake or aeration, before seed is a good idea. Add starter fertilizer or organic starter product.

Not sure if it would work...BUT...
you could try adding clover seed to the lawn. Clover provides nitrogen fertilizer continuously; its a legume. Naturally there are a few white flowers for a couple weeks in May.

also think about black medic--a clover-like legume. Its an annual and the flowers are yellow and tiny--less noticeable than clover.
Overseeding is always good
Laughed out loud a bit at the clover and black medic thing though, no offense! I would readily do something like that with my own lawn. However, my clients are still high end residentials who demand uniformty in their lawns. We spot spray weeds if necessary and pull TONS of them.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Old timers around here always say " I remember when grass seed came with clover seed in the mix" I tell customers clover is almost always part of an 100% organic lawn ( I'll kill my self with safety scissors before I pick clover out of turf by hand)
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-23-2014, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotyledon View Post
Old timers around here always say " I remember when grass seed came with clover seed in the mix" I tell customers clover is almost always part of an 100% organic lawn ( I'll kill my self with safety scissors before I pick clover out of turf by hand)
Posted via Mobile Device
I find that once i spot spray the clover and get it out of the lawn, incidental clover starts are easy to pull by hand with the weed popper. Even if they get going a little, they are still easier to pull than established clover patches. As long as I can find that mother plant with her tap root, I'm golden.

Tags
compost , feather meal , fertilizer program , mycorrhizae , organic fertilizer