Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-23-2013, 04:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Got clovers & weeds from overseeding... can you kill after a freeze?

This year I got my butt in gear and did it right. I got good seed & fert for my fall overseeding (Lesco Transition Supreme TTTF long with Lesco 18-24-12).

Im in the St. Louis, MO area... so I on Sept. 18th I did the following:

1. Scalped my grass low.
2. Core aerated the yard, 4 times, each traveling in a different direction.
3. Dethatch the yard, 2 times, each traveling in a different direction.
4. Seed and starter fertilize, 2 times, each at half rate, in different directions.
5. Core aerated the yard again, 2 times, each traveling in a different direction.
6. Rolled the yard.
7. Watered religously to keep the soil moist. (3 X daily first week, 2X daily second week, 1x daily in the AM 3rd week, continue to water 1-2 times a week)
8. Applied another round of Lesco 18-24-12 a few days after the first mow on 10/14.

I wa very pleased with the germination and the yard came up thick. I had to reseed a few spots about 13 days ago but overall I'm happy from the result I got from the Lesco products. I attached a before and after pic.

Although, like the title suggests... I'm having 1 issue. With all the P in the 18-24-12, I'm getting hammered with clovers, dandelions, and some other weeds as you can see in the pic below.

I talked to the guys at Lesco and they said to hammer it with Momentum after the 3rd or 4th mowing. I have some Speedzone and Trimec 899 left over form the spring that I will probably use instead. But... we are having a freeze here (low-mid 20's) in STL starting at 11PM Thurs. night thru 8 AM Fri. morning but then it is supposed to reach 60 for the next week or so

Will this freeze esentially kills those weeds or cause them to go dormant so I can't attack them with herbicide this fall or will I be able to spray after my 4th mowing so I don't have to tackle this mosntours clover beast in the spring?

This freeze sux... hoping my seedlings make it thru too.

Thanks for your time.

Fescjew
Old 10-23-2013, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I believe that late Fall plants are busy sucking in everything they can before Winter shuts them down for good... as long as the weeds are 'actively growing' they should drink up the poison... when they start to brown from dormancy it is probably over for the season...