Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-08-2013, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOturkey View Post
Just thought I'd add that just because you have the cash to pay for something, that isn't necessarily always the best option, depending upon your specific situation. Making a larger than normal down payment will sometimes help with financing, and there are times it makes sense to have emergency cash in the bank, rather than have it all tied up in equipment.

Also, the terms of 0% financing is a little misleading. First of all, the company (mower manufacturer) chips in a percent of the money financed, this helps them move equipment. Secondly, the dealer normally has to chip in a percentage also. I currently have a mower financed through Sheffield at 0%. The dealer cost was approximately 2%, which means I could have bought the same mower for 2% less, if I paid cash. This is a relatively insignificant amount, but people need to be aware the costs are there.

Last, but not least, the finance company normally has an additional charge. Not sure what they call it, but it is usually about $150. This is a one time fee they charge for setting up the loan, whatever. If you pay the loan in a timely fashion, they still make some money on the loan. This makes sense. Nothing is completely "free". Of course, what they are really hoping is you won't meet all the terms of your loan, and they will make a killing on late fees, or be able to charge accrued interest. That is why financing often makes sense, but one needs to be sure they can meet the obligation before signing on the dotted line.
In other words there is no such thing as free!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-08-2013, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

yes, when i was at the gravely dealer. 3199 + $150 to process.. nothing is free. lol but a little update to my story, they claim to have got my old beater exmark working and i'm hoping to not have to purchase a new mower for atleast a full season or 2.. WE will see though, haven't picked it up yet.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't know if you are just starting out or not. It seems like from you post you are in at least your 2nd year. Are you planning on staying in the business? First year bought a used mower and it worked well. My 2nd year I bought a used mower. It was a disaster. Cost more to repair than it was worth. Ended up junking it and buying a new one on a 48 month low interest loan. Best thing I ever did. Buying another one on credit this year. You can certainly buy a good used mower. But for me it is not worth the risk. I buy new with warrantee.
Good Luck
Old 02-09-2013, 02:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I got my exmark back today, it runs strong. the problem with it starting is due to the transmission. once they got the OPC working properly we found that the thing has a hard time going in neutral therefore it wouldn't start.. you gotta jiggle it a little bit to make sure its in neutral now and then so it will start. other than that it runs just fine, pulls up hills great now. i put my single wheel velke on it and mowed my hilly front yard and it pulls me up the hill no problem.. i'm gonna run this thing as long as i can. from a search the transmissions seem rather in-expensive compared to something like the engine.. probally worth replacing if i have to much trouble with it.. mabee i can get 3 years out of it and hold on to some money! I hate financing too.. and i'm glad that i can stick to my original plan and have no debt with my business this 2nd year.. (knock on wood.) besides what i want to pay myself back, of course.

man, i hijacked this thread. wondering if the OP got his mower today??
Old 02-09-2013, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inzane View Post
i hear ya there, but a wise man once told me that grass don't get cut with a lawn mower that won't start.
What you're claiming is a used mower won't start. Your mower is used as soon as you buy it. I understand however that there are carrying degrees. A 3,000 dollar used ZTR is a nice mower.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-09-2013, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

not really, I just meant that my used mower won't start. i want to say this mower i bought is 13 years old.. I'm more for buying slightly used, if anything. i made a bit of a mistake IMO. older mowers are for guys that are more mechanically inclined than myself. Looks like its gonna work for now though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 205mx View Post
What you're claiming is a used mower won't start. Your mower is used as soon as you buy it. I understand however that there are carrying degrees. A 3,000 dollar used ZTR is a nice mower.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-09-2013, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought a 2009 models in 2011. Paid 3,000.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-09-2013, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

yeah, that sounds like a good way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 205mx View Post
I bought a 2009 models in 2011. Paid 3,000.
Posted via Mobile Device