Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #41  
Old 06-02-2015, 10:07 PM
sjessen sjessen is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Knoxville, Tn
Posts: 1,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy1 View Post
Sure ... would you send them to b.wingard@charter.net ... someone else in this thread is interested in using the Kawasaki parts ... if you have the part numbers, would you post them here as well ???

thanx ... ... ...
Give me a day or so. have to get the wife to help me out. Will call the dealer and see if they have part numbers.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 06-02-2015, 10:14 PM
Fuzzy1 Fuzzy1 is online now
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: S.E. Tennessee ... just North of Chattanooga ...
Posts: 178
Thank you so much ...
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 06-02-2015, 10:24 PM
sjessen sjessen is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Knoxville, Tn
Posts: 1,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy1 View Post
Thank you so much ...
Heck, we are close enough we could almost meet somewhere!
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 06-02-2015, 10:36 PM
Fuzzy1 Fuzzy1 is online now
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: S.E. Tennessee ... just North of Chattanooga ...
Posts: 178
Yeah ... I just noticed that ...
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 06-02-2015, 10:45 PM
herler herler is online now
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy1 View Post
Here's some info from the website of HAYDEN ... the people who make some aftermarket coolers ... ... ...


Engine Oil Coolers
Protect your investment with our Engine Oil Cooler.
Lowering Operating Temperatures Mean...
Extended Transmission Life
315F/157C 500 mi. Seals and Clutches Burn Out, Carbon Forms
295F/146C 1,500 mi. Plates Slip
260F/127C 5,000 mi. Seals Harden
240F/116C 10,000 mi. Varnishes Form
220F/104C 20,000 mi.
195F / 91C 50,000 mi.
175F / 79C 100,000 mi.
TRANSMISSION OIL
TEMPERATURE MILES
Engine Life Expectancy (with emissions controls)
295F/146C 1,537 mi.
275F/135C 3,075 mi. High Heat Low Mileage
255F/123C 6,125 mi.
235F/113C 12,500 mi.
215F/102C 25,000 mi.
195F / 91C 50,000 mi. Low Heat High Mileage
175F / 79C 100,000 mi.

NOW, I really want to install this thing ... just got to get the adapter ... should be here in a couple of days.
Right but that's a truck, not a lawn mower.
What overheats the transmission is the heat from the truck's engine transferring to it and that's because the engine in a truck sits in front and slightly up from the transmission. There's no getting away from that basic configuration and the fact that when headed down the highway the air pushes around the engine and over the transmission (that's in addition to regular heat transfer through the components themselves).

You do realize you can accomplish as much simply installing a lower temperature thermostat?
Because no amount of oil cooling is going to stop it from building up to the thermostat's set temperature...
And if you have a 200 degree thermostat you're wasting your time with an oil cooler.

That and a light foot on the throttle, my truck will start heating up at 70mph and keep going, no matter, the increase is slow but steady and faster on a hot day... If I don't let off the gas it's only a matter of time before it overheats, the temperature gauge just keeps climbing.

If your truck sports a high temperature thermostat, installing an oil cooler is about a waste of time and money.

Better off work on keeping the temperature around 160, with a cool / low range $5 thermostat.

Last edited by herler; 06-02-2015 at 10:49 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 06-02-2015, 11:12 PM
Fuzzy1 Fuzzy1 is online now
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: S.E. Tennessee ... just North of Chattanooga ...
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
Right but that's a truck, not a lawn mower.
What overheats the transmission is the heat from the truck's engine transferring to it and that's because the engine in a truck sits in front and slightly up from the transmission. There's no getting away from that basic configuration and the fact that when headed down the highway the air pushes around the engine and over the transmission (that's in addition to regular heat transfer through the components themselves).

You do realize you can accomplish as much simply installing a lower temperature thermostat?
Because no amount of oil cooling is going to stop it from building up to the thermostat's set temperature...
And if you have a 200 degree thermostat you're wasting your time with an oil cooler.

That and a light foot on the throttle, my truck will start heating up at 70mph and keep going, no matter, the increase is slow but steady and faster on a hot day... If I don't let off the gas it's only a matter of time before it overheats, the temperature gauge just keeps climbing.

If your truck sports a high temperature thermostat, installing an oil cooler is about a waste of time and money.

Better off work on keeping the temperature around 160, with a cool / low range $5 thermostat.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 06-02-2015, 11:18 PM
Fuzzy1 Fuzzy1 is online now
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: S.E. Tennessee ... just North of Chattanooga ...
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy1 View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
WHAT in the world are you talking about ??? NO ONE said a word about trucks or transmission fluid ... where did THAT come from ??? The quote from their website said absolutely nothing about trucks and/or automatic transmissions. I realize you are very critical of this simple modification, but just because you are wrong, it doesn't give you license to go off like that !!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 06-03-2015, 09:16 AM
BigFish's Avatar
BigFish BigFish is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: chesapeake, va
Posts: 2,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy1 View Post
WHAT in the world are you talking about ??? NO ONE said a word about trucks or transmission fluid ... where did THAT come from ??? The quote from their website said absolutely nothing about trucks and/or automatic transmissions. I realize you are very critical of this simple modification, but just because you are wrong, it doesn't give you license to go off like that !!!
Posted via Mobile Device
The short boob toob in my signature kinda explains it!
__________________
" But let me tell you something ,folks: You can't fix stupid! There's not a pill you can take, there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever!"
2015 -1
" Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain! "
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWyCCJ6B2WE

......AMF!
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 06-04-2015, 05:52 AM
Richard Martin's Avatar
Richard Martin Richard Martin is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 14,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
Right but that's a truck, not a lawn mower.
What overheats the transmission is the heat from the truck's engine transferring to it and that's because the engine in a truck sits in front and slightly up from the transmission. There's no getting away from that basic configuration and the fact that when headed down the highway the air pushes around the engine and over the transmission (that's in addition to regular heat transfer through the components themselves).

You do realize you can accomplish as much simply installing a lower temperature thermostat?
Because no amount of oil cooling is going to stop it from building up to the thermostat's set temperature...
And if you have a 200 degree thermostat you're wasting your time with an oil cooler.

That and a light foot on the throttle, my truck will start heating up at 70mph and keep going, no matter, the increase is slow but steady and faster on a hot day... If I don't let off the gas it's only a matter of time before it overheats, the temperature gauge just keeps climbing.

If your truck sports a high temperature thermostat, installing an oil cooler is about a waste of time and money.

Better off work on keeping the temperature around 160, with a cool / low range $5 thermostat.
I'm sorry but you are dead wrong on just about everything you posted.

The thermal transfer from the engine to the transmission (whether by contact or through air transfer) is extremely low and is negligible. What heats up a transmission is the slippage within the transmission and torque converter. If you have an old truck without a lockup convertor, the problem can be as you described. Install an auxiliary 20,000 pound transmission cooler in front of your radiator and your transmission heating up problems will disappear.

If you have a newer truck with a lockout converter, but you pull your load with the transmission in Drive instead of OD, you will also benefit from an auxiliary tranny cooler.

Additionally, if you change your high temp (typically 195) engine thermostat out for a 160, you stand a very good chance of the engine never warming up enough for the computer to operate it correctly. The computer looks at the water temperature closely and changes the engine operating parameters accordingly. If the water never gets up to the standard operating temps, the computer assumes that the engine is still cold and runs the fuel trims and timing adjustments for a cold engine. This does hurt performance and fuel mileage.

Those old tricks that you heard about from the old days, don't work on new engines and can actually harm them. Leave those old tricks to cars and trucks that have points, condensers and carbs.
__________________


Last edited by Richard Martin; 06-04-2015 at 05:56 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Layout Style:





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2012, LawnSite.com - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:14 PM.

Page generated in 0.08508 seconds with 10 queries