Register free!

Old 04-19-2014, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you're relying on a chemical rep for anything but chemical pricing, you're already sunk. Can't trust these guys any farther than you can throw them.

Over many years of trials, Rubigan never provided more than 40% control of SDS. It also had to be done in three applications that were pretty close together. The product was also labeled only for golf course and commercial turf. It was (and still is) illegal to apply to home lawns.

But, the only fenarimol (Rubigan) producer in the US was Gowan Company and they stopped selling to distributors in Dec 2012. Since it usually takes about 2 yrs for products to cycle out of the distribution channel, you can maybe still find some, but you can't use it in home lawns.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:31 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipster View Post
If you're relying on a chemical rep for anything but chemical pricing, you're already sunk. Can't trust these guys any farther than you can throw them.

Over many years of trials, Rubigan never provided more than 40% control of SDS. It also had to be done in three applications that were pretty close together. The product was also labeled only for golf course and commercial turf. It was (and still is) illegal to apply to home lawns.

But, the only fenarimol (Rubigan) producer in the US was Gowan Company and they stopped selling to distributors in Dec 2012. Since it usually takes about 2 yrs for products to cycle out of the distribution channel, you can maybe still find some, but you can't use it in home lawns.

I've never read the label but I have been in CEU's where the subject came up and the name was thrown out there as a possible solution. As soon as they used the phrases "timing is crucial" and "extremely expensive", I never gave it another thought. I did some more investigation and found that cultural practices can make a big difference in the occurrence of the disease and the recovery from it.

To the OP. Educate yourself and your customers and you can give them confidence that you know what you are doing but like skip said, in most cases, your chemical rep is only good for product selection and pricing. Other than that, his usefulness as a source of knowledge is "hit and miss" at best.

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor
Old 04-19-2014, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipster View Post

I dont think im sunk just getting other opinions before I do sampling. Thanks for your input. I want to get an idea as it raining here and cant take a sample today.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-19-2014, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Remember, at this time of year, it's probably going to take a month to get any result's back.