Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-11-2013, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

"REAL WORLD HERE" I have two properties across from one another, both the same size, one I charge $45 for takes about 15mins to service with my 40" stander, the other takes about 45 mins to service she only wants a push on her lawn, I charge $65, all based on time. gate or no gate, of course both lawns are getting serviced at the same time so in an hr we've grossed $105, could be even higher if I kept two 21" on the trailer.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
"REAL WORLD HERE" I have two properties across from one another, both the same size, one I charge $45 for takes about 15mins to service with my 40" stander, the other takes about 45 mins to service she only wants a push on her lawn, I charge $65, all based on time. gate or no gate, of course both lawns are getting serviced at the same time so in an hr we've grossed $105, could be even higher if I kept two 21" on the trailer.
You're grossing $110 for that hour not $105.
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
Stihl HS56C Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS391 25" Bar Chainsaw
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
Earthquake 16" Rear Tine Tiller
Honda 9" Mini Tiller FG110
2014 GMC Sierra Denali HD
7' x 16' Enclosed V-Nose Trailer
6' x 12' Dump Trailer
Equipment & Work thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=415830
Old 12-12-2013, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. W. Landscapers, Inc. View Post
You're grossing $110 for that hour not $105.
OOPS! Yea bad math.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
OOPS! Yea bad math.
Just make sure you spell my name correctly when you write my $5 check each week.
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
Stihl HS56C Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS391 25" Bar Chainsaw
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
Earthquake 16" Rear Tine Tiller
Honda 9" Mini Tiller FG110
2014 GMC Sierra Denali HD
7' x 16' Enclosed V-Nose Trailer
6' x 12' Dump Trailer
Equipment & Work thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=415830
Old 12-29-2013, 02:23 AM
LawnSite Member

Wow, didn't realize this would cause such a big stir!

AW, I too price my lawns based on how much time it takes me; I take flowerbeds, hills, pools, gates into account. You have to do this to stay in business.

My question was more asking for a ballpark of how much do you charge if you have two similarly sized yards, one with a backyard fence you can't get the big mower into. I'm not asking for help estimating; I'm just wondering more for the psychological effect this has on the customer.

Say I do customer A's lawn for $45, and his neighbor B has the same sized yard with half of it fenced. I quote him $55 because of the extra time (due to the fence). I'm just wondering what the customer is willing to come to terms with. It was really just looking for everyone's ballpark numbers, not asking for advice estimating. It seems 10-20% more is about right.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well how much longer does it take?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-29-2013, 02:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone flat out refuse to mow a property with a small gate? If your company's profile is one of quality and not of low price won't the customers desire to have you maintain their property drive your ability to have a larger gate installed?

If the customer will put a larger gate in do you perhaps provide the labor for free or at a discounted rate as an additional incentive? You leave money on the table if you don't charge labor... but if you refuse to maintain properties with small gates you won't have any sales from that customer anyway.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler_mott85 View Post
Anyone flat out refuse to mow a property with a small gate? If your company's profile is one of quality and not of low price won't the customers desire to have you maintain their property drive your ability to have a larger gate installed?

If the customer will put a larger gate in do you perhaps provide the labor for free or at a discounted rate as an additional incentive? You leave money on the table if you don't charge labor... but if you refuse to maintain properties with small gates you won't have any sales from that customer anyway.
My first year I did my first clean up. Did I under bid that one.

The lady had a gate under 36". Large back yard. My 42" would not get through and I did not relish the thought of using my 20" push.

She got an estimate from a fence guy to put in one 4' gate for $495. Right next to the small gate. Creating an unsymmetrical appearance.

I contacted a local fence place that sold wholesale as well as did retail. All I had to do was remove one fence post. And install two 4' gates. The fence place was going to sell me everything needed. Gates, hinges, latch, drop rods to hold the gates open, metal strip and clamps to tension fence after it was shorten to create larger opening.

All for a cost to me of $104.

So I told the lady I can put in two 4' gates for an 8' opening for $350. And that when done the fence will look like it was put up that way originally. And everything would look symmetrical. Instead of being left with two lopsided gates.

She told me that was still too much money and my price of $45 a mow was to high as well.

As you can guess I did no more work for her. And years later her lawn still looks poor.

If your company's profile is one of quality and not of low price won't the customers desire to have you maintain their property drive your ability to have a larger gate installed?

No company is the sole provider of quality service. I am sure they will find quality company willing to work with small gates.

If the customer will put a larger gate in do you perhaps provide the labor for free or at a discounted rate as an additional incentive?

Do not offer to get involved with offering to do the gate at all till you ask and answer these questions. First do you have the time to do fence work? Can you do fence work? Can you buy the materials wholesale? Can you do it cheaper then a fence company? Can you afford to break even on the fence work?

You leave money on the table if you don't charge labor... but if you refuse to maintain properties with small gates you won't have any sales from that customer anyway

Leaving money on the table is not a good way to call it. For if the customer puts in a larger gate then you use your larger mower. You get done faster. So you then get more lawns done in a day. So you make more money long term.

As to losing money because you will not work small properties that is a maybe yes or a maybe no. You have more work then you can handle you can afford to pass on small gate properties and only add on the type of properties that you want.

Now if you are starting out and do not have a full schedule then you are leaving money on the table.

What I did starting out is I needed work. So I just worked around small gates. Lucky these prop's had postage stamp back yards.

I am now at the point where a gate will cause a problem when I give an estimate. I give them the price with their current small gate and a price if they put in a larger gate. I do not offer to do the gate work.