Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-03-2014, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Shindaiwa

Anybody have reviews on Shindaiwa T254 trimmer. I was looking at them and just wondering if they hold up...
Old 03-04-2014, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Member

I have worked on them over and over... The only thing that hurts these things is neglect. Make sure you buy a good quality JASO certified oil always mix precisely don't be like a little extra wont hurt. It will. Use gas that is younger than 1 month. Store fuel in a pressurized NON VENTED container. Drain and run dry when not in use and use a good stabilizer if your oil does not contain one Star tron sta-bil. You may hear about sta bil gunking up carbs with red good that's because people think gasoline will not evaporate out of a carb..

Stabil is a stabilizer not a stop a volatile chemical evaporating magic juice. You dont just add it to your fuel put it in your weed eater and put it away for the winter. That is not how it works. Good luck!
It is very important for you to post your results once the problem is solved so that people will be able to reference a solution to their problem down the road. YEARS may go by and someone has the same problem PLEASE POST YOUR "IT WAS FIXED WITH x SOLUTION.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've had way better results with Sea Foam versus Sta-bil. You couldn't pay me to use Sta-bil, after two successive winters of motorcycles needing their carbs cleaned. I've been 10yrs on Sea Foam and the bikes always start, in the spring. I use Sea Foam in everything. But, the rest of your advice is spot-on.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
'14 Ariens Compact 24" Sno-Thro
'08 Troy Bilt Squall 2100
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 03-04-2014, 11:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Personally I do not use either LOL! I use Stihl HP plus mix and it has stabilizers in it. So i am not to be trusted on stabilizers. But as far as motorcycles go. As far as ANY equipment goes you don't have to use anything if you do 1 little thing. Start your equipment every couple of weeks no matter what weather year round!

You get some folks who have a $80k jaguar in the garage and shake their knees and drool all over it. When another guy takes his out every day the guy asks how can you afford to run the dang thing.... He replies "I run it"

Running your equipment does many things. Keeps the battery charged keeps fuel flowing through your fuel system. Oils everything up.

Most people think its normal to buy a battery on a riding mower every or every other year. IT IS NOT! GO OUT AND START YOUR EQUIPMENT AND RUN IT RUN IT HARD AND DO IT OFTEN! Also you homeowners.. change your oil for goodness sake. 1`ce a year. Usually 30w non detergent you can buy at walmart for $2.75 each. Honda reccomments you use their magic honda oil. I have a commericial honda engine log slpitter and I splurge on honda oil.
It is very important for you to post your results once the problem is solved so that people will be able to reference a solution to their problem down the road. YEARS may go by and someone has the same problem PLEASE POST YOUR "IT WAS FIXED WITH x SOLUTION.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerepairdotcom View Post
I have worked on them over and over... The only thing that hurts these things is neglect. Make sure you buy a good quality JASO certified oil always mix precisely don't be like a little extra wont hurt. It will. Use gas that is younger than 1 month. Store fuel in a pressurized NON VENTED container. Drain and run dry when not in use and use a good stabilizer if your oil does not contain one Star tron sta-bil. You may hear about sta bil gunking up carbs with red good that's because people think gasoline will not evaporate out of a carb..

Stabil is a stabilizer not a stop a volatile chemical evaporating magic juice. You dont just add it to your fuel put it in your weed eater and put it away for the winter. That is not how it works. Good luck!
Have you seen any problems with the 254 not related to neglect, such as a common problem in this model.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Personally I do not use either LOL! I use Stihl HP plus mix and it has stabilizers in it. So i am not to be trusted on stabilizers.
That's such an awesome reply! Haha.

Quote:
But as far as motorcycles go. As far as ANY equipment goes you don't have to use anything if you do 1 little thing. Start your equipment every couple of weeks no matter what weather year round!
I don't, because my shop is unheated. It pains me, to think how long it takes to get the molasses up to the valvetrain and flowing to the bearings. Furthermore, I don't want to add to the condensation in the crankcase. But, if it gets up into the 40's and I'm out there, I do fire them.

Quote:
Running your equipment does many things. Keeps the battery charged keeps fuel flowing through your fuel system. Oils everything up.

Most people think its normal to buy a battery on a riding mower every or every other year. IT IS NOT! GO OUT AND START YOUR EQUIPMENT AND RUN IT RUN IT HARD AND DO IT OFTEN!
I've preached the use of Battery Tenders, all over this site. Just got 9yrs out of my FasTrak battery.

Quote:
Also you homeowners.. change your oil for goodness sake.
Absolutely! I brought home a '89 JD snowblower, from a client, that had never had an oil change. She had me go completely through it and get it running again. I clear her drive, so it's just gone back to sitting. I have her pusher here, now. It's never been touched, either. I mow her property, so it'll just be sitting, too.

Quote:
Honda reccomments you use their magic honda oil. I have a commericial honda engine log slpitter and I splurge on honda oil.
I've used Honda's moly-oil (silver bottle), in my GXV530, from day one. But, I'll be switching over to a common brand, full-synthetic, since I no longer work in the motorcycle industry.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
'14 Ariens Compact 24" Sno-Thro
'08 Troy Bilt Squall 2100
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 03-05-2014, 08:46 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

mine were trouble plauged from day one. got about one season from them till they got too hard to start. and yes i adjusted the valves
Old 04-27-2014, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laman View Post
Anybody have reviews on Shindaiwa T254 trimmer. I was looking at them and just wondering if they hold up...
I've had my T254 trimmer for a couple of months now and I can't complain, it works great...

Covering Area: North Florida & South Georgia
Call- S & L Lawn Solutions for all your outdoor needs.
Chevy Silverado 1500
Z925 John Deere
T254 Hybrid Trimmer
7x14 Enclosed Trailer (Freedom Trailer)
PB500-T Blower