Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-20-2014, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I figure the actual real cost to run my business is 10 to 12$ per hour. So until I hit the 45$ mark Im not doing all that great. I do have several that I can do in less than 1 hour that Im getting 70 to 80$, and Im trying to shift my business towards those types of deals.

Problem Ive had is the last 3 years have been automatic, if I lost an account 3 people would call. This year I lost 2 over the winter, but I didn't think much of it and then no calls.

Its been get up in the morning, go knock out the yards, come home have a few beers and enjoy life. Now for next year I will likely pay a little attention to my business, advertise, get rid of some the harder accounts etc. That's if I can wrap up some of my non lawn business projects.

I know a couple of fellers in my aera that "say" there getting 85$ per hour.

In my opinion if a Solo operator can "clear/net" 35 to 40 $ per hour hes doing pretty darn good. That's 1500$ per week.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
Im planning on running my old 88 Chevy next year. I could even add a "crew" with all the stuff I have around.

Its hard to get high prices in my aera, I shoot for 45 to 60 per hour, but don't alaways reach it.

I figure like this.

25$ per hour ............a fast food job would be better

35$ per hour..........like working a skilled job

45$ per hour...........starting too get somewhere.

60$ per hour .............. now were talking

I think most people starting out have no idea how expensive it is to operate a lawn care business, so they price around 30$ per hour and get discouraged pretty fast.
I'm not afraid to say this was me. When I started part time, I just wanted to pick up a few yards for supplemental income. I now only do 2 of those original yards and I hate doing them. One was suppose to be mowed yesterday but beer got ahold of him. He was on the original call everybody every week to see if they need mowed. So I upped his price $10. Now no answer. Technically I guess you could say the plan worked. Not only did he want it cheap he wanted it every 2 weeks and "can't you cut it lower" as he heard my mower stall from 2 weeks of Bermuda growth. Damn Turfmaster. So that's it for that one. So I have come a long way since May when I started. I now rely on it for my sole income. Prices are decent I think. I will have to wait until spring to see how many and what type of clients I pick up. Everything is priced at $55-60 per hour. Some of the smaller ones are probably more. I am sure I can get more but then I have to up the quality I feel I would no longer be mow blow and go, but be tipping into category. I don't think I want that.

Mx what type of services so you offer? Mow blow and go?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-20-2014, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would encourage everyone in to price work as high as you can and still keep busy, I just posted numbers, some realistic some not. Realistically speaking at 25$ per hour you will fail, at 35$ per hour you will have a hard time. 45$ might be a living. 60$ would be much better. 1000$ and you would be set in no time.

Make all you can, Im in no way shape or form a comminunist.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
So that's it for that one. So I have come a long way since May when I started. I now rely on it for my sole income. Prices are decent I think. I will have to wait until spring to see how many and what type of clients I pick up. Everything is priced at $55-60 per hour. Some of the smaller ones are probably more. I am sure I can get more but then I have to up the quality I feel I would no longer be mow blow and go, but be tipping into category. I don't think I want that.

Mx what type of services so you offer? Mow blow and go?
Now your talking my territory . You dont up the quality for an increase in price but you up the number. You will make more then upping quality/price. To do this though you need to get very, very good at what you do and tighten the sh*t out of your route. then you should make the decision if you want to go all in, a true mow and blow. specializing.. theres some "gems" in this thread see everything whiffy posted and some others. that also might not be geared to where you want to go or are going. or asking? I was a little confused as to exact question?

And just an aside for others.. how is drive time non billable hours? I bill the heck out of drive time on all my jobs (non mowing). I track it for mowing and bid it initially in though, so same thing. I couldnt imagine driving out 20 min then back 20 min and not getting paid
Old 09-22-2014, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a minimum of $22. About 15% of my lawns fall in that category and take less than 15 minutes solo. I have several $25-$28 lawns that take 18-26 minutes. I have a few bi-weekly lawns that I earn $100+/hour because I charge 40% more for bi-weekly lawns. When I get into the $35+ lawns it starts becoming difficult to get over $60/hour while on the actual job. People don't like paying it. I only use Exmark 30's so other companies can do them more efficiently. I personally don't want larger equipment so I stick to my 30's and lawns under 15k square feet. I have a couple properties I bid wrong this year. One particular property I bid at $42 and it ended up taking me over 1 hour. I will have to raise the price next season. My average dollar per hour from getting out of truck to getting in the truck at a property is at least 60.

Last edited by Cedar Lawn Care; 09-22-2014 at 06:37 PM.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Bill at each man per hour
Old 09-24-2014, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Bill at each man per hour
For the very short run. To really make money you want to bid per job and this might even go for lawns.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres View Post
For the very short run. To really make money you want to bid per job and this might even go for lawns.
Ha ha! Nice one.