Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-14-2013, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Member

All in all that is exactly what I have planned the only issue I have right now is that the only ones highering are contractors and all their work is on the road all over the province. So as of right now I feel like the right way to go is work for a contractor until a uttility possition comes up then pursue my dream with starting as a part time side deal until I at least have my ticket.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EH909 View Post
All in all that is exactly what I have planned the only issue I have right now is that the only ones highering are contractors and all their work is on the road all over the province. So as of right now I feel like the right way to go is work for a contractor until a uttility possition comes up then pursue my dream with starting as a part time side deal until I at least have my ticket.
Smart plan, take it from me, I've had my own business for 8 years, starting with a promise that I would make $60,000 a year, that was a big number for someone who only made $25,000 a year and $20 an hour, 2005 the promise happened and I cleared $60,000 after taxes, everyone seems to think that being your own boss will put money in your pocket, WRONG. End of 2005 I only had $1200. I looked at the year end financial reports I had from my accountant and wondered where did the other $58,800 go? Pissed away on my own business.
Go to work for someone else and never rely on a "promise" to make more money if you go at it alone.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 02-16-2013, 01:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The best way to make money if you want to run gear for yourself is to do it as a side job. Have a steady job during the week and run your stuff on the weekends. Kinda sucks because you could be going 7 days a week, but it's the best way to double dip. After a while, you might be able to take the leap to self employment full time. My dad and I ran a business a few years ago but I took on an apprenticeship running iron, last 2 years I've worked have been great. Without getting into too much detail, if you factor in our pension and health benefits that is part of our wage package, I've made $100K+ the last 2 years and my job is over as soon as I hit the gate every night. Lots of hours, though, at some point you're on the wire for whatever they want and I never tell anyone no when it comes to working overtime. I moved around a lot on that project, they just kept me going as long as they could because I wouldn't turn anything down.

Now, with all that said, I really miss the dirt business and running my own gear. I actually just got laid off a couple weeks ago as the job I was on is coming to an end and I'm out pounding pavement for a new gig. Since I was in the hoisting business for the last couple years and found out the money is awesome, I'm turning a blind eye to the money and headed back to the dirt side of things if I can. I'll take a bit of a pay cut to do what I want, it's not always about the money. However, it still pays pretty well to be on a dirt crew if you're busy 10 months out of the year or so. Just set some personal goals for yourself and go from there. I've seen a whole lot of the industry because I was willing to not turn down an opportunity and I wouldn't change that for anything. But you do have to chase what you want and I know that better than anyone. Invest in your future with some sort of training, that's our biggest push down here. We have a training site that we pay for as members of the Local. Since I'm off for another month or so before things really fire up, I took the opportunity to go over to our training site and get in a blade. Nothing better than playing in the sandbox with the ultimate machine, running a grader is a riot.

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 03-06-2013, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Member

I had a talk with a family friend who's family at one time owned the largest civil construction company in the area and now he runs it. He told me that if I make it a part time job to look at it as, work the machine three days and that would be the monthly payment being that I wont have to live off of it and that all profit made with it to put it towards the business and to use the day job to live off of. He also planning on selling his Cat 236B2 and said that if I'm intrested in it it is mine. So I may start out with that and a couple attachments and then update to a ctl.