Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-11-2014, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I want to learn hardscaping, but I already have a business...

Hardscaping is something I always wanted to learn, but I know it takes time to learn it. I am already full time doing maintenance and landscape installs, but I would also like to add hardscaping to my resume of services offered.

Is there anything I can do to learn hardscaping while at the same time operating my business? I have a good amount of clients now that I have built up over the past year that i take good care of and would like to keep taking care of them, at the same time I would like to expand my services.

Any advice gentlemen?
2013 Exmark Commercial 21 X Series Kawasaki BBC
2012 Exmark Commercial 21 S Series
2013 Echo PAS-280
2013 Echo PB-770T
Old 05-11-2014, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Build stuff for friends and family
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-23-2014, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Yes. Go look up the ICPI and find a certification course near you. Learn how to do things properly from the get go. Compaction is your friend. Other than that - hire someone smarter than you in this area. Try to find someone with previous experience in the Hardscaping industry to teach you some of the tips of the trade. You have the contacts, he (or she) can have the expertise.
Old 05-24-2014, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church2224 View Post
Hardscaping is something I always wanted to learn, but I know it takes time to learn it. I am already full time doing maintenance and landscape installs, but I would also like to add hardscaping to my resume of services offered.

Is there anything I can do to learn hardscaping while at the same time operating my business? I have a good amount of clients now that I have built up over the past year that i take good care of and would like to keep taking care of them, at the same time I would like to expand my services.

Any advice gentlemen?
Yes, many manufacturers sponsor classes to install their product and you can become certified, but also takes time, which you might not have,

Best way is to hire subcontractors to do the work, and learn over the course of time as they do the installs on your larger projects.

Another way is to hire an employee that already has the skills to do the work you sell.
Old 05-25-2014, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
Yes, many manufacturers sponsor classes to install their product and you can become certified, but also takes time, which you might not have,

Best way is to hire subcontractors to do the work, and learn over the course of time as they do the installs on your larger projects.

Another way is to hire an employee that already has the skills to do the work you sell.
Good points by all.

The main thing to remember is that one is only as good as the company one keeps, so keep good company. Hire or work with someone who's work you admire, someone that you'd like to be like.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-25-2014, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
Good points by all.

The main thing to remember is that one is only as good as the company one keeps, so keep good company. Hire or work with someone who's work you admire, someone that you'd like to be like.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah, but DVS doesn't work in my area.
Old 05-26-2014, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I didn't go to an ICPI class when I started becoming a great Hardscaper.

I didn't hire subs when I started becoming a great Hardscaper.

It's called - coming from within. Knowledge in construction. Knowledge in design. Knowledge in grading.

Do you have a knack for perfection?

Do you have business instinct?

First step is to ask do you have what I just mentioned? If you answered NO one time to any of the above - then you're not a good candidate
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-26-2014, 02:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
I didn't go to an ICPI class when I started becoming a great Hardscaper.

I didn't hire subs when I started becoming a great Hardscaper.

It's called - coming from within. Knowledge in construction. Knowledge in design. Knowledge in grading.

Do you have a knack for perfection?

Do you have business instinct?

First step is to ask do you have what I just mentioned? If you answered NO one time to any of the above - then you're not a good candidate
Posted via Mobile Device
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah you should be a comedian dude, I laughed so hard I damned near cried. I thank you so much for that
have a great holiday and keep up the positive attitude my friend.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-11-2014, 01:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with the first several replies. Get ICPI trained & certified. That alone will teach you a lot.

Find someone who you can sub-contract the work to until you learn it yourself. But pay attention to what they are doing!

I don't know about the friends & family thing. I guess they're more forgiving. So from that aspect, I guess it's good. But I wouldn't want to be experimenting on my friend's or family's yard, then have it fall apart because I didn't do it correctly, and hear about it forever.

My advice would be to learn as much as you possibly can from ICPI and from suppliers / manufacturers and maybe a sub-contractor. Then when you feel you have a good grip on it, go ahead and take on a SMALL job. Like a 10x15 patio or something. At least then if you screw it up, it won't be a difficult one to tear apart and redo. If that goes smoothly, try a little bigger one. Then try a more complicated one. Grow your hardscape business SLOWLY. Start small. Work your way up to larger jobs as your skills improve.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 06-16-2014, 03:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nice advice