Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-12-2013, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a dual-hydro walk and it's great. Used belt drives before too. Having a 36" belt as your "narrow gate" mower/backup machine is a smart move, though. I currently use a 48" Viking and love the thing. I think a 52" hydro w/ a dual wheel sulky is one of the most versatile "main mowers" one can own. It's productive as a Z but more maneuverable, can handle slopes better than a stand-on, it treads lightly on wet turf (fewer ruts), and costs less to purchase/maintain. A Gravely Pro Walk or Scag SWZ will be my next machine.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. --Leonardo da Vinci

http://integritylawnpro.com
Old 12-13-2013, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLCLLC View Post
Thanks for the replies. What controls (what company) do you all think is the best and easiest to use right now. I know I will have to demo to know for sure.
This is an easy one to answer...... exmark with the ecs controls. hands down best wb controls on the planet to date. Id say it will be hard to ever compete with the design...... keeps your hands tucked in a bit to so your hands don't get wacked on obstacles like fences, trees bushes and MY FAVORITE which I almost lost my fingers on TOMB STONES!!!
Old 12-13-2013, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. What controls (what company) do you all think is the best and easiest to use right now. I know I will have to demo to know for sure.
Right now I say Exmark or Gravely. Only major difference between them is the controls. They are built like tanks.
Old 12-13-2013, 02:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ferris/SnapperPro. The cruise control and ease of operation is awesome.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-13-2013, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Exmark ECS or the Scag with the ECS knock off control which is even easier. While neither will give you Popeye arms you will have a nice firm handshake.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Member

One thing I hated with the belt drive was when I needed to put it in reverse. Not efficient at all. I have to have a machine I can go in reverse and never leave the hand controls and never check up. None of this, put it in nutrel, swing your leg up and put it in reverse. Now do it all over again to go forward. No thank you. On the gravely it appears they are identical to a z so all you do is pull back. Is that correct?
Old 12-15-2013, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
One thing I hated with the belt drive was when I needed to put it in reverse. Not efficient at all. I have to have a machine I can go in reverse and never leave the hand controls and never check up. None of this, put it in nutrel, swing your leg up and put it in reverse. Now do it all over again to go forward. No thank you. On the gravely it appears they are identical to a z so all you do is pull back. Is that correct?
Pretty much. They are very easy to use once you get use to them. They take some time to get use to but once you do they feel great.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Member

As already stated, I would recommend the eXmark with the ECS controls. I have run multiple WBs over the years, including Scag, John Deere, and an old Gravely with belt drive, and a Scag and eXmark hydro unit. By far, the eXmark is the easiest machine to operate. It's smooth, easy to operate, and fun too. I'd go with the Turf Tracer b/c of the easy deck adjustment. I am currently running a 48" TT and looking at possibly adding a 60" TT to the fleet next year (pending a new contract....).
2013 Kubota L3200
2013 eXmark 60" Lazer Z X-series
2013 eXmark 60" Lazer Z E-series
2013 eXmark Commercial 30"
2009 eXmark Turf Tracer 48"
Echo/Stihl peripherals