Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-08-2014, 01:34 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyCompass View Post
Are you saying unrealistic because of pricing? The pricing on my site are below average prices for my area from just gathering quotes by calling the major lawn service companies. Charging for each service is what will keep you competitive, if you include everything at one price to everyone then you give the customer no choices and being in sales most of my working life that is what people want is choices because it makes them have a sense of control. The #1 piece of advice I have been given by people in the industry is "Never negotiate prices and charge for everything you do because if not the customer expects everything for free and you will go out of business"
Now the sizes of the yards being 8000 sq ft is the average yard size in the majority of the neighborhoods in my area, my yard is the largest in my neighborhood at a 1/3 acre or approx. 14,000 sq ft. I live in Louisville,Ky and it is a fairly large city ( I think we are the 25th largest city in the US, close to the size of Detroit) but being in Kentucky we have a lot of 1+ acre yards just outside of the city limits. But the census bureau estimates the average lot size at 5000 sq ft in Louisville but that includes all the inner city yards(that I am not wanting) which are a 1/3 of the size of the yards further out in the county and the patio homes that have a 20'x20' back yard which is where my focus is as of now. The $50 per man hour charge is slightly lower than average in this area. I appreciate the input but I think I am confused on if you are saying I am charging too much for my services or if the average lot size are too small or if I shouldn't charge for each individual service or all of the above. I am not saying I am right at all, but I don't want to cut my own throat by charging a flat fee of $25 like the neighborhood teenager cutting grass for extra cash in the summer that has no overhead (insurance, truck cost, maintenance etc.) And again I do appreciate any and all advice
I just noticed this page as well. I think you should definitely change the pricing on you're page. In my pricing, I ALWAYS include the blowing in the price. You are not going to goto the yard mow it, and then leave, with grass all over the sidewalks/driveway. That customer will not be a repeat customer.

I actually include the mowing, trimming, and clean-up in my initial price.