Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-23-2014, 01:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny01blaze View Post
Sorry for the late reply, yes snow subs. The ones we have already have too much work and cant take on more. Craigslist really isn't yielding much results this year.
Where are you trying to sub stuff out at? per push or hourly? also commercial or resis?
1999 F350 Superduty
2002 6x12 Single Axle Landscaping Trailer
1998 6.5x16 Landscape trailer
2013 7x16 Quality Equipment Trailer
1994 5x8 Lone Wolf Trailer

Exmark, Snapper, Ferris, Encore, Billy Goat, Honda, Echo, Stihl, Husky, and Ryan

http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=344647
http://www.mcginnlandscaping.com
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/McG...30091293747444
Old 11-26-2014, 02:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You know it is not going to be a good work day, when driving home, trailer in tow loaded with mowers, wipers at work, and following a salt truck.
Old 11-26-2014, 04:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It was a great day to be a salt truck. Making money either way. Considerably more salting
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-28-2014, 02:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Sorry running ragged. Combination of sites, commercial and residential. Awaiting confirmation on the handling of our north hills work. Still need subs in Beaver and Moon.

Servicing Greater Pittsburgh & Surrounding Areas
Old 12-04-2014, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

New trick for customers this season:

Pay a tip with the October Invoice, before the November Invoice is issued. In other words, the customer considers the season done in October, pays the Invoice, plus tip, then ignores the November Invoice. Obviously, they assume that since they paid a tip, I will not try to collect on the November Invoice. Sometimes the tip exceeds the November Invoice, sometimes not.

I've not had it happen before, but now has happened a couple of times. People really resist paying the last Invoice because they know I will not return in the near future. Read: Payments are to insure I will return week after week, not for the work done.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:35 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Hi guys. What a crappy fall this has been.
Still putzing around getting a few cleanups done.

Partly my fault, but mostly the weather. Agrecycle closes this Friday, so if I need to haul debris after that I dunno where I'll go with it - Rutters in Murrysville?

Just had someone call about a leaf cleanup the other day. Looked at it and it's probably more than I can fit in the trailer in one load plus it's all wet leaves that have piled up on themselves. I told him $250-$300 because I know it's gonna be a pain and take half a day at least. He thought that was high. Go figure.
I also told him I'm fighting the clock due to the dump closing on Friday.
Told him he's welcome to get someone else to do it 'cuz I can't even guarantee I can get it by Friday because I still have some others to do and there's no guarantee I'll have decent weather to do it.

I need the money badly, but part of me can't wait until Friday so I can say "Sorry, can't do it now."

I can't be the only one behind though because I still see trucks out working.
I usually have everything done by Thanksgiving and my equipment winterized by now. Ugh.

This concludes my rambly, mini-rant.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am still out working as well, every day that I can get. I finished all mowing last Monday (a week ago yesterday), and have been trimming and cleanup since. My back and shoulders are begging me to stop -- the trimmer gets heavier as the day progresses.

I still have one full day of cutting down ornamental grasses on one property, another couple of smaller trimming jobs, and then a couple of jobs with small trees and large branches that came down during the heavy winds a couple of weeks ago. I also have a final leaf cleanup for a property. It has been cleaned up several times, but the owner wanted one "right before Christmas," as per their request in other years. She scheduled this final cleanup for Dec 20, when she gave me a schedule of work in early March. So, this is no surprise. I think I will do it Thur or Fri as the forecast for Sat does not look very good (possible snow).

Oaknut, ... my perspective is different. I will be very disappointed to see the last job go down, and the long days of no Winter work ahead.
Old Today, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Either get cold and snow or I'm spreading pre-emergent.

GM Trucks
Belmont Trailers
Gravely
Honda
Stihl
GiantVac
Lesco
Ryan
Permagreen

Tags
n'at!