Thanks guys.

Still weighing options.

Part of me would rather make payments on equipment than a truck
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-12-2013, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPsDuramax View Post
The worst part is, it's not even worth trying to sell it because we have so much invested into it.
A truck is not an investment it's a tool, an expensive tool. The money you put into it should not be expected to provide a return only to make the work you do easier.

The stock market is an investment.

And unlike the stock market you should not hold onto cheap trucks hoping they will increase in value, you will be waiting a long time.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I understand your point. I guess my point was that I don't want to double my loss on a truck by selling it after spending that much to fix or repair daily.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Psychologically it might be easier to write a check for iron rather than a pickup. However if the pickup is a prudent decision you need it just like you need a piece of yellow iron. The pickup and the yellow iron is an investment in your business. It may not be a good investment by itself but in the context that it contributes to the success of your business as a whole it is an investment.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have a truck now. It's just getting up in the miles and its 12 years old. Ive found a few cc dually under 8-9k locally. I think they're worth looking at even if I just use it to pull equipment in the area

I'm looking to upgrade to a drw and a gooseneck trailer.

Currently I use a bumper pull tow master for my needs.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-13-2013, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Well I agree with kss, these new gas trucks are good at towing heavier loads the addition of trannys with more gears have helped these trucks at pulling big loads. And as technology get better like direct gas injection with turbocharging there realy wont be any compitition. I have had my truck since 05 and it has been towing heavy loads ever since and dont plan to look back. If u do deceide to go gas stick with 5 speed or greater on auto, if u deceide to go manual well just about all the big gas engines will do the trick
Old 02-14-2013, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Member

I can't speak to a towing daily driver, but I use a 4x4 Dodge 2500 V10. It tows my BC 331 when need be, then I use a 4 banger to drive around...
It does the job without any fuss, and in my hood, I have a few hills. It has near a 14k towing limit. Since it is just a towing vehicle and occasional thrill ride up forestry roads and whatnot, gas mileage isn't an issue (suspect 6-12). I've found gearing is very important with steep hills around here (steep - as in the municipality won't service the road). Then I just drop it into 4-low and it becomes a tank. I'm guessing hills won't be an issue for you though.
I picked up mine for under 4k (2001) in very presentable shape (actually, it was below 3k, but I had to go get it...long story...)...I do like the interior (crew cab)...not spartan at all.
Since your spending money on machinery, I'd go 'light' on the truck until you make some dough.