Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-21-2014, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Hello from SC

Hi I just wanted to introduce myself and try to get some advice on starting up a solo hobby/business.

My name is Justin, i joined this site to research and learn what it will take to start up a business. Ive picked up on some very useful tips just skimming through some threads already. I could write a book with everything i want to say, but ill spare you the boredom. I would like to give a little back ground info about why i would like to get into the lawn care business. So if you dont care to read my story you can stop reading here and go about your day haha.

On to my story! Im a 27 year old father of two beautiful children. I currently have an ok full time job that i have been with for 6 years. I do maintanence work for a chain of doctors offices at $14 an hour. It has gotten to the point where i feel i am driving down a dead end road in a big rig. The reason im still on this dead end road is because its a stable income for my family and they have purchased everytool i will ever need for anything. Including some lawn equipment. If i left i would have to return everything and have no tools for any side work. I strive for more out of my life than what im currently doing now. I want my children to look up to me and be able to say i made something of my self. Maybe i can be the start if a well established family business handed down from generation to generation. I have always loved being outdoors and love yardwork. However i lack the in depth knowledge currently of the business side of things. My hope is to start small and build something worth talking about a few years from now. I want my kids to grow up and say daddy made something out of nothing. So here i am reading all day and night soaking in everything i can.

Here is my goal for starting up. Let me know what you think and add any other advice (if your still reading)

Year 1: gain enough clients to be able to purchase some starter equipment of my own. Learning everything i can wayong the way.

Year 2: gain more clients and set myself up to quit my full time job.

We shall have to see how things go from there. but for now im hoping to be able to run a lawn care business full time within 3 years. Could be sooner depending on how fast i can learn the business aspect.

Anyways thanks for reading and if you have any suggestions for me they would be greatly appreciated. I need to go pick up some business 101 books now, so see ya around!
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by carolinapride; 02-21-2014 at 02:10 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Welcome to the forum.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Hello there Justin.
Don't quit your job just start part time go slow and steady
Old 02-21-2014, 03:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Welcome from Fort Worth, Texas.

Quote:
they have purchased everytool i will ever need for anything. Including some lawn equipment. If i left i would have to return everything and have no tools for any side work.
Has your current employer given you permission to use their tools and equipment for your non work related business?
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
Stihl HS56C Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS391 25" Bar Chainsaw
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
Earthquake 16" Rear Tine Tiller
Honda 9" Mini Tiller FG110
2014 GMC Sierra Denali HD
7' x 16' Enclosed V-Nose Trailer
6' x 12' Dump Trailer
Equipment & Work thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=415830
Old 02-21-2014, 03:45 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Welcome from North Carolina!

I recommend you pick up "The E-Myth Landscape Contractor" by Michael Gerber and Tony Bass.

“I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” – Ronald Reagan

"Treat employees like they make a difference and they will." - Jim Goodnight

Old 02-21-2014, 04:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landrus2 View Post
Hello there Justin.
Don't quit your job just start part time go slow and steady
Thats the plan. Do this part time until im comfortable with every aspect of the business. I do not want to be just another of those guys with a mower. I want to do quality work that my clients will be proud of. Not to mention i need to prove to my wife that i can make enough money to sustain through the off season. Going to be a tough task to prove to her but i also need to prove it to myself.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. W. Landscapers, Inc. View Post
Welcome from Fort Worth, Texas.

Has your current employer given you permission to use their tools and equipment for your non work related business?
Yes, i have full permission to use any tool purchased by them for any side work. I am held accountable for any repairs though if something breaks. I use to maintain 12 of our lawns a few years ago until they hired a landscaping company because it was taking up time from my other duties. I only have a 21" honda self propelled mower, an echo weed eater, and a shiwianda(sp?) Back pack blower. Not much but it should be enough to get started.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Hi from NC! I've been coming over to Greenville quite a lot lately, great downtown! When you can walk a quarter mile down the main street in the evening and always smell steak it's a good town!