Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-10-2013, 02:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I believe Id jsut get a 21" inch Snapper and keep my expenses down, unless your going to start doing real large properties.

Post some more pics of the Redwoods.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
I believe Id jsut get a 21" inch Snapper and keep my expenses down, unless your going to start doing real large properties.

Post some more pics of the Redwoods.
lol - yes, the redwoods. Itching to go back.

I considered just a 21", but I wanted to speed up the in-and-out if I hire help, plus free my time up. One reason the door may open on this property is tree care -- 400 trees -- and the homeowner likes the idea that I can spend time on soil, tree and plant care more than the previous service, if this falls in place. So I figured a 30" or wider would let me help knock out some lawn, and an assistant could get the niches and some edging etc., while I do pruning, soil test, herbicides, etc..

It's sort of odd attempting entry level with a huge place rather than a 100 x 100 residential lot. But on the other hand, this place is small compared to the golf courses I used to work at.

Still amazing how many mowers have come about though in the past 20 years and the design changes. Lots of nice looking stuff.

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

http://www.lawnsite.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9938&dateline=1262369890
Old 05-10-2013, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Aside from calling different dealers, ask for the owner, or manager when getting prices.
My dealer is great, but if I speak to anyone other than the owner, I WILL pay more for whatever I buy. I've gotten price quotes from different employees and then stopped back a few days later and asked the owner, and I've always gotten a better price from him - without even asking. Every time.

The pee-ons don't have authorization to give discounts.
The owner wants you as a repeat customer.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

One thing I noticed, when reading another thread about the Exmark 30" mower, was several statements about lack of tearing or minimal impact to the lawn.

Although there were plenty of comments about transmission or drive repairs, I'm considering that the machine maybe should be given a partial mulligan on the tranny deficiency, if the average result of finished appearance is better.

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

http://www.lawnsite.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9938&dateline=1262369890