Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-16-2014, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just found out yesterday that if you purchase any Ferris machine after January 1st , 2014...you will get a 4 year warranty on the suspension. I know that this doesn't help in your situation, but its good knowledge for the site. May help you in your future purchases
Old 01-16-2014, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Maybe I need to trade in!! Lol! That would be nice to have.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-16-2014, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey JT.... How big of a diameter is the bushing? Reason I ask is because somebody brought up a skateboard wheel and machining it down... Well, I am a skateboarder of about 25 years now and the trucks(the metal things that connect the wheels of a skateboard to the actual deck of the skateboard) have bushings in them.. There was nothing in your picture for reference so I couldn't tell how big the bushing was but skateboard bushings are big business. There are actually quite a few companies that make them and they come in different materials/strengths... I.E Hard/Soft/Medium.

Something I have always wondered and I will ask it because my buddy Great Meadow brought it up.... I had always heard that the full suspension Ferris' scalp easier as well but if Great Meadow says they don't then that is good enough for me. However, I was told by a Ferris owner that if he stopped short, there would circles left in the turf from the blades. He called it the "suspension signature" and said if I ever saw it around town that it was one of his less experienced operators. Any truth to this? Not that it matters, how often does one have to stop short when mowing, I have just always wondered about it.....
Old 01-16-2014, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Member

I think the outside diameter was about an inch and 3/8ths, with a 3/8 bolt hole. The width of the outside was around 3/4" with the center being wider, maybe an inch. Had it all measured out but gave it to my friend & can't remember exactly. Used a 7/8 socket to press it out.
I have never had the front end "drop" leaving half moons on my Ferris. I owned a Hustler with flex forks and had it do that to me with the 72" deck, but not the 60". The only thing that took some getting use to was over hanging a curb with one front wheel. On the rigid front mowers u could get by some, but the Ferris wants to drop the wheel because of the independent suspension and not a rigid front end.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-17-2014, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Very interesting! My board is out in the shed so I can't measure it but I think that we might have fit! Like I said there are many manufacturers of bushings and the sizes and how hard they are vary greatly. This could be a very cool experiment though..... You might even get a better result with them! All you have to do is google Skateboard Bushings.... And that's cool about the half moons, I always thought it sounded a bit extreme...
Old 01-17-2014, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That's why I brought up a wheel. Back in my youth these were the latest and greatest. They were just beginning to offer auto suspension components in Poly too. I'm kind of suprised they still use rubber components given their limited life even the synthetic variety. I see a lot of parts I could replace with a poly bushing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-02-2014, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Member

I would be interested in a set of bushings for my shocks while your buddy is making them, mine are in the same condition as yours.
I was thinking of using delrin, I don't see a need for the bushing to be flexible , just needs to be tight.

shoot me an email steveumbel@gmail.com