Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-22-2015, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That cogged belt requires very little adjustment. You shouldn't need to adjust it much, ever. The V-belts are simple remove and replace. Just unbolt whatever is necessary to remove them and bolt everything right back, once the belts are swapped. You need to learn to do this yourself, as these crap belts are prone to breaking, unannounced. Your reliance on a dealer is going to hurt your operation. Don't be intimidated. Dig in!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-23-2015, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
That cogged belt requires very little adjustment. You shouldn't need to adjust it much, ever. The V-belts are simple remove and replace. Just unbolt whatever is necessary to remove them and bolt everything right back, once the belts are swapped. You need to learn to do this yourself, as these crap belts are prone to breaking, unannounced. Your reliance on a dealer is going to hurt your operation. Don't be intimidated. Dig in!
Posted via Mobile Device
At this point though it's more than just a belt that needs replacing.
That pulley is obviously bad and who know what exactly was causing the squeal in the fall - was it that pulley going bad, or maybe a bearing? I have no idea.

I'm actually considering getting another one. That way I can take the time to figure this one out on my own or if that fails, drop it off at the dealer.
I was already planning on getting another one so I'd have a backup at all times, but was not planning to do it NOW when I'm coming off a winter of little income and no money.
Gonna see if that 18 month 0% offer on the Toro website can be used for one through the dealer. If not I could do a 6 month 0% at Home Depot.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
At this point though it's more than just a belt that needs replacing.
That pulley is obviously bad and who know what exactly was causing the squeal in the fall - was it that pulley going bad, or maybe a bearing? I have no idea.

I'm actually considering getting another one. That way I can take the time to figure this one out on my own or if that fails, drop it off at the dealer.
I was already planning on getting another one so I'd have a backup at all times, but was not planning to do it NOW when I'm coming off a winter of little income and no money.
Gonna see if that 18 month 0% offer on the Toro website can be used for one through the dealer. If not I could do a 6 month 0% at Home Depot.
Wise move on unit #2.

The newer generation pulley bearings are more prone to failure than the older ones IMO.

What caused the squeal in my case is the bearing going bad to the point the pulley was acting like a brake and the back side of the belt was skidding to some degree when it contacted the pulley. On mine the cog belt wore a flat spot on the pulley and exposed the hardware.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-23-2015, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
Wise move on unit #2.

The newer generation pulley bearings are more prone to failure than the older ones IMO.

What caused the squeal in my case is the bearing going bad to the point the pulley was acting like a brake and the back side of the belt was skidding to some degree when it contacted the pulley. On mine the cog belt wore a flat spot on the pulley and exposed the hardware.
Posted via Mobile Device
I guess I'll ask.
Do you know if that off-center pulley on mine is caused by a bad bearing or some other issue?

This is the problem with "doing it myself" - I don't even know what part(s) need to be replaced.

Sure, I could likely figure out how to replace a belt, but beyond that, I wouldn't know where to start with tearing things apart.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Well, I can get another for $899.
I can do 0% "Toro" financing for 18 months but there is a $50 fee plus a percentage which winds up being $70 added to the price of the mower.

This is acceptable to me.
When I stopped to ask last week I was told $950 was the "best I can do".
Never speak to the counter people if you can instead speak to the owner.
I asked the owner today about the financing to find out if there were any "fees" and he got back to me in a few minutes to explain it to me as well as give me a price - "$899 plus the $70 that you'll pay with the financing" he said.

Cool. I didn't even have to ask - he just gave me the lower price - same as last year when Toro offered a sale on mowers in May.

So even if I pay the $70 to finance it, I'm still only paying $20 more than I would be if I had told the counter guy to ring me up.
Twenty bucks is certainly worth the ability to get it NOW. I don't necessarily need to take 18 months to pay for it, but that's a better option than 6 months at Home Depot.

Just need to decide if I am actually going to do it and let him know in a day or so.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:35 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I did drop this one off at the dealer Wednesday. I have too many other things I need to do to screw around "learning" how to fix it and maybe not even being able to.
Fortunately they said they're only looking at a week to get to it. I expected a longer wait, so that's a bonus. Should be right about when I need it for mowing.