Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-08-2014, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Walker GHS 36" mower

Does anyone have any feedback or reviews on using a Walker GHS mower with a 36" mowing deck? I would be using it on a 20 or 26 hp Kohler model. I did hear that narrower tires are needed when using a 36" deck. I can't seem to find any feedback other than a couple people hearing that they heard the narrower tires needed for the 36" deck slightly rutted the yards.

Thank you for your time.

Michael

2006 GMC Sierra 2500hd crew cab
BOSS 8'2" Power V
Hustler X-one 60"
Toro Proline 36" wb w/t-bar controls
Toro 22"
Shindaiwa T254, Echo trimmers, chainsaws, pole hedge trimmer, pole saw, hedge trimmer
Shindaiwa 633 and Echo 760LN
Old 07-08-2014, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

why are you getting a 36" GHS?

is this a special deck and tires for an already existing machine?

Or are you getting a new machine?

If it's a New machine just get an MC with 36" GHS deck and narrow wheels form the get go. I think it comes with an 18hp not sure
Old 07-08-2014, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'd be buying used with a 48" deck which would come in handy for Spring and Fall Clean-ups. I would need a 36" to fit through weekly clients that I currently bag with my Toro 36" wb.

Michael

BOSS 8'2" Power V
Hustler X-one 60"
Toro 22"
Shindaiwa T254, Echo trimmers, chainsaws, pole hedge trimmer, pole saw, hedge trimmer
Old 07-09-2014, 05:09 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboysLawnCareDelaware View Post
I'd be buying used with a 48" deck which would come in handy for Spring and Fall Clean-ups. I would need a 36" to fit through weekly clients that I currently bag with my Toro 36" wb.

Michael

so a little nascar pit stop?
change wheels and deck for summer season?

you should have serious issues…stay away from wet areas.
make sure you alternate cutting directions …it will be ok. machine isn't THAT heavy.

dont mow in the rain or directly after it.
Get the wider tail split for trail wheels… feel worth the upgrade.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:

Michael
How wide are the gates that you need to get through? I used to have a customer with a 40" gate and I could get my 48" deck through it. I had to hook the deck in the upright position and approach the gate in a kitty corner position. Swing one side through and hug the post with the tire and it got through. The tires on my MT are standard and measure 39" out side to out side, don't remember if it has any spacers behind the wheels.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene gls View Post
How wide are the gates that you need to get through? I used to have a customer with a 40" gate and I could get my 48" deck through it. I had to hook the deck in the upright position and approach the gate in a kitty corner position. Swing one side through and hug the post with the tire and it got through. The tires on my MT are standard and measure 39" out side to out side, don't remember if it has any spacers behind the wheels.
I'm not sure how your able to do that, but I have a couple accounts with 37" openings that I can barely get the mower through.

Yes the deck and wheels would be a quick 20 minutes change but I wanted to make sure the performance was up to par with the rest of the Walker decks since I don't know anyone who has a 36".

Michael

BOSS 8'2" Power V
Hustler X-one 60"
Toro 22"
Old 07-09-2014, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
I'm not sure how your able to do that, but I have a couple accounts with 37" openings that I can barely get the mower through.

Yes the deck and wheels would be a quick 20 minutes change but I wanted to make sure the performance was up to par with the rest of the Walker decks since I don't know anyone who has a 36".

Michael
I know a lot of Walker owners but none with a 36" deck. Maybe it would be worth your while to approach your customers with small gates to enlarge them to a more modern size for modern equipment.