Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-06-2014, 01:39 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicturePerfectLawns View Post
I would love to have a STANDER, but I'm at the point to where I don't want to spend the cash on one. So as far as money vs. performance I think the Hydro Walk Behind would suit me well. As what I'm looking for; cutting performance, reliability, easy deck height adjustment, reversibility, and ground speed. I'd love the Gravely Pro Walk Hydro, but the more and more I look the the Scag SWZT seems to be everything I'm looking for, I love the height adjustment on them Scags. Not to mention the dealer price tag. I've been waiting to hear more on them, but there's only one or two actual reviews posted on them which have been positive, then a bunch of people complaining why they think they WILL NOT work. From what I've seen the owners are happy. I also love the control handles on the Scag for those tight areas. I'm tired of fighting with fences vs. knuckles in tight areas.
Yes, SWZT is pretty sweet.
Controls are actually BETTER than the ECS (unless you are riding a sulky, then the ECS are equally or possibly a little better)

The SWZT was made, deliberately with the tight space high attention to detail "residential" lawn in mind.

Commercial aspect of bumpier, rougher turf and long distances of full throttle, full blast hydro running for hours and hours would install a different pump/hydro system.
But Scag knows this type of work is typically (like 90% or more) done with Vrides and ZTRs. OS they are the SWZT specifically with the smaller, high end/high detail residential lawn in mind.
And kept the price low ON PURPOSE. specifically to fit the niche that the 30" is in while begin more expensive than a 30, its now where near as pricey as a Turf Tracer.

Would I get one of THOSE over a belt drive?

Definitely!!

A pistol grip or Z style hydro over a belt drive….not so much.
Old 07-06-2014, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
Yes, SWZT is pretty sweet.
Controls are actually BETTER than the ECS (unless you are riding a sulky, then the ECS are equally or possibly a little better)

The SWZT was made, deliberately with the tight space high attention to detail "residential" lawn in mind.

Commercial aspect of bumpier, rougher turf and long distances of full throttle, full blast hydro running for hours and hours would install a different pump/hydro system.
But Scag knows this type of work is typically (like 90% or more) done with Vrides and ZTRs. OS they are the SWZT specifically with the smaller, high end/high detail residential lawn in mind.
And kept the price low ON PURPOSE. specifically to fit the niche that the 30" is in while begin more expensive than a 30, its now where near as pricey as a Turf Tracer.

Would I get one of THOSE over a belt drive?

Definitely!!

A pistol grip or Z style hydro over a belt drive….not so much.

Dealer wants $4399. for the SWZT 36. I'm pretty sure I can get one for $4,200.00 with a mulch plate thrown in. If I could just get $2,500. for my brand new 36, I'd be looking a little over 2 out of pocket and I think it would be worth it. I'm going to talk to the dealer about a trade-in, but I'm willing to bet they wouldn't give me what I want for my brand new mower even though I bought it from them last month.

For all your Mower Parts, Support a Small Family Man Business. Google ZERO TURN MAN.
Old 07-06-2014, 02:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What I love about the Scag is the Height Adjustment. I don't know why all the other main companies haven't integrated something like this. I think they could have went with 3100 Hydro's or had it as an option, but I think the 28's will hold up in like you said small residential that I do. If I wanted something for wide open lots I'd be looking for a 52"+ or bigger. I mow nearly all 5,000-10,000 square feet lots.

For all your Mower Parts, Support a Small Family Man Business. Google ZERO TURN MAN.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We got one of these and it has all the stuff you want plus the better transaxle and lower price.. Ours have 4 years used by crews. We got the swzt this time, it seems a little heavier,
Old 07-06-2014, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We got one of these and it has all the stuff you want plus the better transaxle and lower price.. Ours has 4 years used by crews. We got the swzt this time, it seems a little heavier,
Attached Images

Old 07-06-2014, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicturePerfectLawns View Post
Dealer wants $4399. for the SWZT 36. I'm pretty sure I can get one for $4,200.00 with a mulch plate thrown in. If I could just get $2,500. for my brand new 36, I'd be looking a little over 2 out of pocket and I think it would be worth it. I'm going to talk to the dealer about a trade-in, but I'm willing to bet they wouldn't give me what I want for my brand new mower even though I bought it from them last month.
Might as well spend a little more and get a damn stander at that price.

Backing up a hydro is just as much as a pain in the ass as a gear. They are SLOW and very sensitive. Especially in 36

Hydros are good for k turns
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-06-2014, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think I might go ahead and ride out the belts this season anyway if no-one calls me with cash in hand soon. I'm having second thoughts about it. I'm trying to add the pro's and con's like TPendagist was saying, it it just doesn't seem like the pro's is going to out way the couple grand it would take me to switch over my equipment. I guess that's why they say don't change what's working for you, huh? My work truck has is getting up there on mileage, close to 200k and that worries me. Thinking about why change what works for me. I'm looking at a minimum of a couple grand for the change, when a re manufactured engine with all new internals is going to run me about $2,550.00. I think that might be a better investment. When I do decide to go to hydro's I was also looking at that Snapper SW20 next to that Scag SWZT. How much is the going cost on the Snapper? I know their price is even better then the Scag and they have the 3100 hydro's.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Get a stander on payments if you have too. The hydro is like going from a 4 cyclinder ranger to a v6 f150. Just get the superduty and be done. If you have to, you can buy used standers for under 4k all day in 36" floating decks. A hydro will spin a lot going in reverse on any sort of hill as they're too light over the rear.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm going to give Gravely a call tomorrow and see how much they will stand behind this mower. They've been an excellent company, went out of their way to send me a belt when the belt broke. But it's one thing after another. I just purchased this machine last month for crying out loud with cash in hand, literally paid and drove off thinking I would be happy and satisfied and I AM NOT satisfied with this mower. If they would only buy this one back or offer me a refund I would happily pay the difference in cash for another one of their hydro's or standers. 20 hours = belt slipping, won't climb trailer ramp. 25 hours steering needs adjustment. 30 Hours Belt Breaks. 35 Hours = (Today, the mowers not turning correctly) Seems like the traction belt or pulley system on the left tire isn't functioning properly. Now I'm a maintenance head, in fact, I'm probably one of the biggest maintenance freaks out there with my equipment. This machine has 35 hours on it, has had two oil / oil filter changes, air filter changed, everything greased every week. But I DO NOT believe I should be spending more time working on a brand new mower I just paid $3,500. out the door for within one month. I'm spending the day mowing from sun-up to sun-down mowing. Only to return to the house at night to spend another 4-5 hours a day until bed time to try and figure out what's wrong with the mower today. So guess what tomorrow has in store? I'm missing (ANOTHER) day of working, missing out on several hundred bucks, for ANOTHER BRAND NEW EQUIPMENT related issue because I have to go to the dealer on the other side of the city through the morning traffic. I'm going to give Gravely a call in the AM when I'm headed to the dealer. I have a buyer for this machine, but after today, I backed out of the sell because I believe in what goes around comes around and I don't believe in selling a machine with a steering issue to someone else and them potentially getting hurt. Not to mention if I bought a machine I wouldn't want the same done to me. I'd rather see what Gravely or the Dealer has to say about this machine, so we'll see in the morning.